1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating clebsch gordan coefficients

1. May 15, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle of spin 1 and a particle of spin 2 are at rest in a configuration such that the total spin is three and its z component = 1. If you measured the z component of the ang mom of the spin 2 particle, what values might you get and what probabilities for each?

2. Relevant equations
    I am trying to calculate the probabilities, not look them up in a table. I *think* the relevant equation is the recursion relation:
    sqrt((j+-m)(j+-m+1))<j1j2;m1m2|j1j2;j,m+-1> = (stuff for changing m1, which i think i can disregard) + sqrt((j2-+m2+1)(j2+-m2))<j1j2;m1,m2-+1|j1j2;jm>
    +- means plus sign over minus sign

3. The attempt at a solution
    ok, so looking at possible cominations, m2 = 0, +1, +2
    now, i think the key is plugging the right numbers into the square root, squaring it to get probability, adding up the three probabilities and normalizing them.
    For measuring m2 = 0, i plugged in m2 = 1 and used the upper sign because i want m2-+1 to be equal to zero. i got sqrt(6). i think this is right, because i know the answer from looking at a table. but for m2 = 0 i plugged in 1 again but this time took the lower sign and i got sqrt(4) which is not right. so now i wonder about my whole method.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2008 #2
    I'm still stuck
  4. Jun 18, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

do you have to use the recursion method? Can you use ladder operators instead?
  5. Jun 18, 2008 #4
    Thanks for you reply. I actually figured out the above one of the 2 problems last night by using ladder operators and then normalizing. Hopefully I can figure out how to use ladder operators to do the second one.
  6. Jun 19, 2008 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

let J = s1 + s2 = 1+2

Then construct all J = 3 states, then you know that the state with J=2, mJ=2 is orthogonal to state J=3, mJ=2, then you have the starting point for making all J=2 states. and so on.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?