Calculating coefficient of kinetic friction through angular acceleration

In summary, the potter's wheel has a mass of 101 kg, a radius of 0.483 meters, and is rotating at 71.9 rev/min. The potter can stop the wheel in 6.54 seconds by applying a radially inward force of 103 N. To find the coefficient of kinetic friction, we use the formula for torque and calculate the force of friction. From there, we can determine the coefficient of kinetic friction.
xregina12
A potter's wheel is 101 kg and has radius of 0.483 meters and is freely rotating at 71.9 rev/min. the potter can stop the wheel in 6.54 s by pressing against the rim and exerting a radially inward force of 103 N. find coefficient of kinetic friction.

I found alpha=71.9 x 2 x pi/60sec/ 6.54= 1.15 rad/s^2
Torque= I x alpha = 27.126
however, i don't know where to go from here. Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi xregina12,

xregina12 said:
A potter's wheel is 101 kg and has radius of 0.483 meters and is freely rotating at 71.9 rev/min. the potter can stop the wheel in 6.54 s by pressing against the rim and exerting a radially inward force of 103 N. find coefficient of kinetic friction.

I found alpha=71.9 x 2 x pi/60sec/ 6.54= 1.15 rad/s^2
however, i don't know where to go from here. Thanks for any help.

What type of force is the 103N force? What is the formula for the kinetic frictional force, and what direction is it in this case? After answering those questions you can find the torque due to the frictional force and plug it into your equation.

xregina12 said:

Hi xregina12! :smile:

(have a alpha: α and an omega: ω :smile:)

Torque = force x distance, so you can calculate the force (that's the friction, of course) …

so you now know both the friction force and the normal force, so … :smile:

1. How do you calculate the coefficient of kinetic friction through angular acceleration?

To calculate the coefficient of kinetic friction through angular acceleration, you will need to know the moment of inertia of the object, its mass, and the angular acceleration. The formula for the coefficient of kinetic friction is μ = Iα/mr, where μ is the coefficient of kinetic friction, I is the moment of inertia, α is the angular acceleration, m is the mass, and r is the radius of the object.

2. What is the moment of inertia and how is it related to the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is related to the coefficient of kinetic friction through the formula μ = Iα/mr, where I is the moment of inertia. This means that the moment of inertia affects the coefficient of kinetic friction, as a higher moment of inertia will result in a lower coefficient of kinetic friction.

3. Can the coefficient of kinetic friction through angular acceleration be negative?

No, the coefficient of kinetic friction through angular acceleration cannot be negative. This is because the coefficient of kinetic friction is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces, and friction is always a force that acts in the opposite direction of motion. Therefore, the coefficient of kinetic friction can only be positive or zero.

4. What are the units of the coefficient of kinetic friction through angular acceleration?

The units of the coefficient of kinetic friction through angular acceleration are dependent on the units used for the other variables in the formula (I, α, m, and r). However, the most common unit for the coefficient of kinetic friction is N/m, as it represents the force of friction per unit of normal force.

5. How does the coefficient of kinetic friction through angular acceleration affect an object's motion?

The coefficient of kinetic friction through angular acceleration affects an object's motion by determining the amount of friction that will act on the object. A higher coefficient of kinetic friction means that there is a greater force of friction acting on the object, which will slow down its rotational motion. On the other hand, a lower coefficient of kinetic friction will result in less friction and allow the object to rotate more easily.