Calculating Coulomb Forces Between Point Charges

In summary, the value of the x-component of the force that q1 exerts on q2 is approximately 42.1 N. This calculation was done using the formula F=(k*q1*q2)/r^2 and converting the units to SI units. The rounding error may have been caused by the order of operations on the calculator.
Sneakatone

Homework Statement

A point charge q1 = -3.9 μC is located at the origin of a co-ordinate system. Another point charge q2 = 7.3 μC is located along the x-axis at a distance x2 = 7.8 cm from q1.
1) What is F12,x, the value of the x-component of the force that q1 exerts on q2?

Homework Equations

F=(k*q1*q2)/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

[(-3.9*10^-6 C)*(7.8*10^-6 C)*(9*10^9 C)]/(0.078^2) m= -45 N

but the answer is wrong I converted everything into metric units.

Attachments

• h1_oneDa.png
    h1_oneDa.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 551
Physics news on Phys.org
Converting to SI units can simplify things, but if you are frequently using different units it can work out better to convert the constants instead.

k=89.876N.cm2/μC2

I think you just had some rounding issues ... I'm getting a slightly different number off the same calculation.

Likes 1 person
when I used your k value with no conversions I got -42.1 N. I guessed the program wanted a more accurate solution thanks.

When I used yours - I got 42.115N and mine got me 42.057N ...

With conversion the calculation works out as:

90*3.9*7.3/7.8^2 = 42.115

must have been the order with my calculator . I have a ti-30x IIS which is harder to track parenthesis and slightly longer operations. thanks again

depends on whether q2 = 7.3 μC , or 7.8 μC .

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of physics that describes the force between two charged particles. It states that the force between two charges is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How is Coulomb's Law calculated?

Coulomb's Law can be calculated using the equation F = k(q1q2)/r^2, where F is the force between the two charges, k is the Coulomb's constant (8.99 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2), q1 and q2 are the charges of the two particles, and r is the distance between them.

3. What are the units for Coulomb's constant?

The units for Coulomb's constant are Nm^2/C^2 (newton meter squared per coulomb squared). This unit is derived from the equation F = k(q1q2)/r^2, where force is measured in newtons (N), charge is measured in coulombs (C), and distance is measured in meters (m).

4. How does Coulomb's Law relate to electric fields?

Coulomb's Law is closely related to electric fields, as it describes the force between two charged particles. Electric fields, on the other hand, describe the force that a charge experiences in the presence of other charged particles. The strength of the electric field is directly proportional to the force experienced by a charge.

5. What are some real-world applications of Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law has many real-world applications, including understanding the behavior of electric charges in circuits, designing electronic devices such as capacitors, and predicting the behavior of particles in particle accelerators. It is also used in the study of electromagnetism, which has applications in fields such as telecommunications and power generation.