1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating distance to a star using magnitudes

1. Sep 26, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Obs.JPG

2. Relevant equations
    ##m = m_0 − 2.5 log_{10} f## where ##m## is the absolute magnitude of an object, and ##m_0## is the zero point.

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm having difficulty with is part b, the answer to which I believe is required for the subsequent parts.

I obtain the following through treatment of the given equation: ##M_{abs}=m_{obs}-5log_5(\frac{d}{10})## where ##d## is the distance we're looking to compute. Using the fact that both Star A and Vega are A0 stars, I assumed that the absolute V-band magnitude of Star A would be the same as Vega's, which would be ##M_{abs}=+0.6##, however the observed/apparent magnitude ##m_{obs}## remains unknown, and so I'm unable to proceed to compute the distance.

It seems simple, but I can't quite put my finger on it..

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You'll need the R-band magnitude of Vega I think. The question part about the colors indicates that you have to find some relation between R and V band.
    Afterwards you can use the R band magnitude from (a).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted