Calculating Effective Coefficient of Thermal Conductivity

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of effective coefficient of thermal conductivity, which is not dependent on the area. A formula for calculating this value is provided, but it is incorrect for the given scenario. The correct formula for stacked layers of the same cross section but different thicknesses is also mentioned. The conversation ends with the participants expressing gratitude for the help and clarification provided.
songoku
Homework Statement
A brass plate with a thickness of 1.00 cm is placed over a copper plate with a thickness of 2.00 cm. The coefficient of thermal conductivity of brass is 100 W/m C and of copper is 400 W/m C. What is the effective coefficient of thermal conductivity for the brass-copper layer?
Relevant Equations
Q/t = k . A . ΔT / d
I know k is thermal conductivity but my teacher never told me about effective coefficient of thermal conductivity. I tried googling and found:
$$k_{effective}=\frac{\Sigma{k.A}}{\Sigma A}$$

But I don't know the area to used that information. Is there another approach to do this question?

Thanks

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
That formula is definitely wrong since it doesn't involve the thickness of the plates, which it should. And, indeed, the effective thermal conductivity is not dependent on the area.

There is a good analogy with electric resistances in parallel. The conductivity times the thickness is the reciprocal of the resistance and now you need to find the effective resistance of the unit. Do you know how to do that?

Arjan82 said:
That formula is definitely wrong since it doesn't involve the thickness of the plates, which it should. And, indeed, the effective thermal conductivity is not dependent on the area.

There is a good analogy with electric resistances in parallel. The conductivity times the thickness is the reciprocal of the resistance and now you need to find the effective resistance of the unit. Do you know how to do that?
Conductivity of brass x thickness of brass = 100 x 1 x 10-2 = 1 W/oC

Conductivity of copper x thickness of copper = 400 x 2 x 10-2 = 8 W/oC

Since the conductivity times thickness is the reciprocal of resistance, it means that
$$\frac{1}{R_{brass}}=1 ~\text{and}~ \frac{1}{R_{copper}}=\frac{1}{8}$$

So the total R will be:
$$\frac{1}{R_{total}}=1+8$$

$$R_{total}=9$$

Is my working even correct? And I am also confused about the unit of the final answer

Thanks

Last edited:
I am not sure I can agree with what @Arjan82 says, however if we take what he says as correct, then in your work it should be
$$\frac{1}{R_{total}}=\frac{1}{R_{brass}}+\frac{1}{R_{copper}}=1+8=9\Rightarrow R_{total}=\frac{1}{9}$$

Last edited:
Likes songoku
Delta2 said:
I am not sure I can agree with what @Arjan82 says, however if we take what he says as correct, then in your work it should be
$$\frac{1}{R_{total}}=\frac{1}{R_{brass}}+\frac{1}{R_{copper}}=1+\frac{1}{8}=\frac{9}{8}\Rightarrow R_{total}=\frac{8}{9}$$
But he said "The conductivity times the thickness is the reciprocal of the resistance" ?

Maybe you have another way to approach this question? Thanks

songoku said:
But he said "The conductivity times the thickness is the reciprocal of the resistance" ?

Maybe you have another way to approach this question? Thanks
He also said something about resistances in parallel so i take it to be that we add them as resistances in parallel not in series as you did.

Likes songoku
Ah sorry total confusion lol, I corrected my post i think now it is correct.

Arjan82 said:
That formula is definitely wrong
Impossible to say since none of the variables are defined in post #1.
Arjan82 said:
The conductivity times the thickness is the reciprocal of the resistance
No, you would not be wanting to multiply conductivity by thickness. Increasing the thickness does not increase the heat flow. You would generally divide by thickness and multiply by cross sectional area.
Heat flow through a sample is proportional to temperature difference, thermal conductivity and cross sectional area, and inversely proportional to thickness: ##\dot Q=-\frac{\Delta\Theta k A}L##.
In the electrical context, conductivity is the reciprocal of resistivity, and resistance is resistivity x length / area. That's all consistent.
Delta2 said:
He also said something about resistances in parallel
Clearly they are in series here, so resistances add conventionally and conductances add harmonically.
songoku said:
I am also confused about the unit of the final answer
So quote units throughout the calculation.
Often that can alert you to a misquoted formula, but in this case the correct conductivity x area / length and the incorrect conductivity x length produce the same dimension.

Last edited:
Likes songoku
haruspex said:
Impossible to say since none of the variables are defined in post #1.
k is the thermal conductivity of each material and A is cross-sectional area of the material

Is the information given by the question enough to solve it? Thanks

songoku said:
k is the thermal conductivity of each material and A is cross-sectional area of the material
Then the formula might be right, but not for the context of your question.
(It is right for thin layers of insulation, all the same thickness, laid adjacent to each other, not on top of each other. A rather peculiar scenario. Can you provide a link?)
For stacked layers of the same cross section but different thicknesses it would be ##\frac{\Sigma L_i}{k_{eff}}=\Sigma\frac{ L_i}{k_i}##

Likes songoku
haruspex said:
Then the formula might be right, but not for the context of your question.
(It is right for thin layers of insulation, all the same thickness, laid adjacent to each other, not on top of each other. A rather peculiar scenario. Can you provide a link?)
For stacked layers of the same cross section but different thicknesses it would be ##\frac{\Sigma L_i}{k_{eff}}=\Sigma\frac{ L_i}{k_i}##
I am sorry for late reply

https://physics.stackexchange.com/q...ive-thermal-conductivity-multi-layer-cylinder

That's where I got the formula, but as you said it is actually for another case and I just thought I could use that formula

Thank you very much for the help and explanation Arjan82, Delta2, haruspex

Likes Delta2

1. What is the definition of effective coefficient of thermal conductivity?

The effective coefficient of thermal conductivity is a measure of how well a material conducts heat. It takes into account the thermal conductivity of the material itself, as well as any other factors that may affect heat transfer, such as porosity or heterogeneity.

2. How is the effective coefficient of thermal conductivity calculated?

The effective coefficient of thermal conductivity is calculated by taking the weighted average of the thermal conductivities of all the components in a material. This takes into account the relative proportions and thermal conductivities of each component.

3. What is the significance of the effective coefficient of thermal conductivity?

The effective coefficient of thermal conductivity is an important parameter in many engineering and scientific applications. It is used to predict the rate of heat transfer in a material, which is crucial for designing and optimizing thermal insulation, building materials, and heat exchangers.

4. How does temperature affect the effective coefficient of thermal conductivity?

The effective coefficient of thermal conductivity is temperature-dependent, meaning it can change with variations in temperature. In general, the thermal conductivity of most materials decreases with increasing temperature, resulting in a decrease in the effective coefficient of thermal conductivity.

5. Can the effective coefficient of thermal conductivity be measured experimentally?

Yes, the effective coefficient of thermal conductivity can be measured experimentally using various techniques such as the transient hot-wire method, guarded hot-plate method, or heat flux sensors. These methods involve measuring the temperature gradient and heat flux through a material to determine its thermal conductivity and ultimately, the effective coefficient of thermal conductivity.