Finding coefficient of thermal expansion

In summary, the homework question involves finding the coefficient of thermal expansion by analyzing a graph of potential energy versus interatomic separation distance. The attempt at a solution includes trying to draw the graph and determining the CTE based on the energy well on either side of absolute zero. The correct calculation for CTE is given as the change in length over the original length equals the CTE times the change in temperature. The input for temperature variation is also mentioned.
Junkwisch

Homework Statement

"see attachment" "q1"

Homework Equations

V=[itex]\frac{-A}{r}+\frac{B}{r^{10}}[/itex]
A=5*10^-30
B=8*10^-121

V=potential energy r=interatomic separation distance

Coefficient of thermal expansion = [itex]\frac{change in L}{L*change in T}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried making graphs for V vs r however it give me a very weird curve. Furthermore, how do I find the coefficient of thermal expansion from potential energy vs interatomic separation distance? All I know is that in a V vs r, if the energy well to the right of the absolute zero is larger than that of the left, the CTE is positive and negative for vice versa.

"see graph 1"

I also try to draw this graph on my graphic calculator but it gives me result similar to y= -1/x

Attachments

• q1.png
    q1.png
    14.8 KB · Views: 561
  • graph 1.jpg
    graph 1.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 514
Physics news on Phys.org
In your plot V(r) you also consider [itex]x\leq0[/itex], which is not correct, because distance r must be r>0. The coefficient of thermal (linear) expansion alpha relates the change in longitude L and the change in temperature T, [itex]\frac{\Delta L}{L}=\alpha \Delta T[/itex], in units K-1. So now you have an input for the variation of T...

PS. The energy on the 'left' of the absolute zero is like saying the north of the north pole, or the time before the Big Bang... :O

1. What is the coefficient of thermal expansion (CTE)?

The coefficient of thermal expansion is a measure of how much a material will expand or contract in response to a change in temperature. It is typically expressed in units of length per degree Celsius (or Fahrenheit).

2. Why is it important to know the CTE of a material?

Knowing the CTE of a material is important for predicting and understanding how it will behave when exposed to changes in temperature. This information is crucial for designing and constructing structures and products that can withstand thermal stresses.

3. How is the CTE of a material determined?

The CTE of a material is typically determined by measuring the change in length or volume of a sample as it is heated or cooled. This can be done using specialized equipment such as a dilatometer or interferometer.

4. What factors can affect the CTE of a material?

The CTE of a material can be affected by many factors, including its chemical composition, crystal structure, and processing methods. Additionally, the CTE may vary depending on the direction in which it is measured, as some materials have anisotropic properties.

5. How can the CTE of a material be used in practical applications?

The CTE of a material is an important consideration in many practical applications, such as in the aerospace and construction industries. It can be used to select materials with compatible thermal expansion properties for jointed assemblies, and to account for dimensional changes in structures due to temperature fluctuations.