How Do I Calculate Heat Transfer by Conduction Using Thermal Conductivity?

In summary, this question asks for the thermal conductivity of copper. There is not enough information in the question to work out the thermal conductivity, so you could either Google it or ask your teacher.
Bolter
Homework Statement
Working out rate of heat transfer
Relevant Equations
fourier's law
Can anyone please guide me in what I'm missing to answer part b)i?

I can't seem to work out the thermal conductivity (k) in order to find the heat transfer by conduction? Or is the different approach that I must take to do this question?

Screenshot 2019-12-22 at 13.46.13.png

IMG_3542.JPG

IMG_3543.JPG

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
They tell you the rod is made of copper.

Cutter Ketch said:
They tell you the rod is made of copper.

Ok right. But does the question expect of me to know copper's thermal conductivity? Or is there a way to calculate this from knowing that the material we're dealing with is copper?

I looked up on wikipedia in a table that the thermal conductivity of pure copper is 401 W/mk

Bolter said:
Ok right. But does the question expect of me to know copper's thermal conductivity?
If the question is from a textbook, you may find that they include one or more tables in the back of the book...

gneill said:
If the question is from a textbook, you may find that they include one or more tables in the back of the book...

No it's a practice question that my teacher has set me. So I'm unsure if I have to look up a data table or not. I'll ask my teacher about it.

But there isn't enough information in the question to even work out thermal conductivity right?

Bolter said:
But there isn't enough information in the question to even work out thermal conductivity right?
Correct.

gneill said:
Correct.

Ok noted. I believe this was an old past exam question that my teacher gave. So quite possibly it should have come with a data sheet that I wasn't given here but was given in the exam.

Likes gneill
Why don't you just Google the thermal conductivity of copper. Is there a federal law against that?

Or, express the answers in terms of the conductivity ##k_{Cu}##, and then numerically, with a note
"based on ##k_{Cu} = 4 \frac {watt} {cm-K}## "

1. How do I calculate heat transfer by conduction?

To calculate heat transfer by conduction, you will need to use the equation Q = kAΔT/d, where Q is the heat transfer, k is the thermal conductivity, A is the surface area, ΔT is the temperature difference, and d is the thickness of the material.

2. What is thermal conductivity?

Thermal conductivity is a measure of a material's ability to conduct heat. It is defined as the amount of heat that passes through a unit area of a material in a unit time when there is a temperature difference of one Kelvin between the two surfaces.

3. How do I determine the thermal conductivity of a material?

The thermal conductivity of a material can be determined experimentally by conducting a heat transfer test using the material. It can also be found in tables or databases that provide the thermal conductivity values for different materials.

4. What are the units of thermal conductivity?

Thermal conductivity is measured in watts per meter Kelvin (W/mK) in the SI system. In other systems, it may be measured in BTU per hour per square foot per degree Fahrenheit (BTU/h ft2 °F) or calories per second per square centimeter per degree Celsius (cal/s cm2 °C).

5. What factors affect thermal conductivity?

The thermal conductivity of a material is affected by factors such as temperature, density, moisture content, and the presence of impurities or defects in the material. It also varies with different materials, as each material has its own unique thermal properties.