Calculating Electric Field in a Charged Tube Using Gauss's Law

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 4K views
yevi
Messages
65
Reaction score
0
A long tube charge with charged with uniform spatial density [tex]\rho[/tex].
The inner radius of the tube is: a
The outer radius of the tube is: b

Need to find the electric field in: a<r<b

My approach is Gauss:

E*S=4 [tex]\pi[/tex] kq

The S is the Gaussean Surface it should be 2 [tex]\pi[/tex] r^2 ??

and q should be [tex]\rho[/tex]*(r^2-a^2)??
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The answer should be:
E=2 [tex]\pi[/tex] k[tex]\rho[/tex][tex]\frac{r^2-a^2}{r}[/tex][tex]\hat{r}[/tex]

So I did something wrong...
 
yevi said:
The answer should be:
E=2 [tex]\pi[/tex] k[tex]\rho[/tex][tex]\frac{r^2-a^2}{r}[/tex][tex]\hat{r}[/tex]

So I did something wrong...

Is the tube closed? because if it isn't then Gauss law can't be used.
 
what do you mean closed?
The tube is hollow...

If I can't use gauss, what should i use?