1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Electric Potential at a Point

1. Oct 31, 2012 #1
    I'm fairly certain I'm doing this problem right.. But my homework assignment program keeps telling me it's incorrect..

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The drawing shows six point charges arranged in a rectangle. The value of q is 6.78 μC, and the distance d is 0.15 m. Find the total electric potential at location P, which is at the center of the rectangle.

http://imgur.com/YsSCB
    Associated picture

2. Relevant equations

Electric Potential = Ʃ(kq/r)

3. The attempt at a solution

So basically, since the +5, -5, +3, -3 charges cancel out, i ignore them. I pretty much plug in (2*7q)/r.

I end up with 5.09*10^6 V.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong.. Can you please let me know whether or not this is the correct answer based on the numbers I provided, and if not, suggestions as to where I went wrong.

Thank you,
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What did you use for r?

4. Oct 31, 2012 #3
    Using the Pythagorean (spelling?) theorem, I got 0.1677m (sqrt(0.15^2 + 0.075^2))

5. Nov 1, 2012 #4
    Any insight?

6. Nov 1, 2012 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Your calculations all look correct to me. But I'm no electrostatics expert, so I might be missing something wrt units. Millions of volts seems like a big answer, but maybe a microC is a big charge.

7. Nov 1, 2012 #6
    Thanks!

Like I said, I'm fairly certain that the issue is with the question as opposed to my work. I tried googling a similar problem online, I used their numbers with my reasonings and I got the right answer

8. Nov 1, 2012 #7

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The method looks good, and I got the same answer.

9. Nov 1, 2012 #8
    That's good to hear I guess ahah, thanks for your help guys

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook