1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Electric Potential Differences

1. Feb 18, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    When an electron moves from A to B along an electric field line in the figure below, the electric field does 2.00 10-19 J of work on it.

What are the electric potential differences:
    (a) VB - VA

(b) VC - VA

(c) VC - VB

2. Relevant equations
    Ok so I know that the equation to use in this case is that of, [tex]\Delta[/tex]V = [tex]\frac{-W}{q}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I understand how to choose the equation I've chosen and how to get the right answer. What I don't understand is why the answers to (a) and (b) aren't negative when the equation shows that they should. Can anyone help?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2010 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't have all the problem details (not enough to actually work out the problem). But allow me to speculate: Forgot the negative charge of the electron maybe? :wink: There's enough information for me to do the first part.

The given wording was "When an electron moves from A to B [...] the electric field does [positive value] J of work on it."

If the above statement applied to a test charge it means the V(A) is greater than V(B). But we're not dealing with a positive test charge. We are dealing with a negative electron :cool:. So given the negative charge, the statement implies, V(B) is greater than V(a). Therefore,

V(B) - V(A) is positive.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook