Calculating emf from angular velocity

In summary: Thanks a lot :)I personally don't understand how this question is done.If I look at the formula and then at the question there is nothing in common?so we know v = wr = 85 * 1.25 = 106.25 m/sswept area = length * speed = 1.25 * 106.25 = 132.8emf = (B*A*n)/temf = (132.8)/t
Masafi
I had 2 questions:

1. My textbook derives that the equation from lenz's and faraday's law

emf = - d(N*flux)/dt
= B * dA/dT

where dA/dt = length * speed

However, why does the N value disappear in the new equation?

Also, this question is given after:

2. A metal propeller rotates in a verical plane with angular vel 85 rad per sec. The length of the propeller from tip to tip is 2.5m. Calculate emf generated between centre and tip of properller. The horizontal component of Earth's magnetic field is 22 x 10^(-6) T (micro Tesla)

The answer is 1.5 x 10^(-3) V. I don't get this.

I did emf = B * dA/dt

dA/dt = length * speed
= 1.25 * (1.25 * 85)

which gives emf = 2.9 x 10 ^ (-3) V

i.e. double the answer

Physics news on Phys.org
Masafi said:
I had 2 questions:

1. My textbook derives that the equation from lenz's and faraday's law

emf = - d(N*flux)/dt
= B * dA/dT

where dA/dt = length * speed
That last step is a special case where you have a wire sweeping out an area. Note that the wire moves at a single speed.

However, why does the N value disappear in the new equation?
Presumably there is a single moving wire sweeping out an area.

Also, this question is given after:

2. A metal propeller rotates in a verical plane with angular vel 85 rad per sec. The length of the propeller from tip to tip is 2.5m. Calculate emf generated between centre and tip of properller. The horizontal component of Earth's magnetic field is 22 x 10^(-6) T (micro Tesla)

The answer is 1.5 x 10^(-3) V. I don't get this.

I did emf = B * dA/dt

dA/dt = length * speed
= 1.25 * (1.25 * 85)

which gives emf = 2.9 x 10 ^ (-3) V

i.e. double the answer
You took the speed of the propeller as equal to the speed of the tip. But the speed varies from zero at the center to a maximum at the tip. (What's the average speed?)

Doc Al said:
That last step is a special case where you have a wire sweeping out an area. Note that the wire moves at a single speed.

Presumably there is a single moving wire sweeping out an area.

You took the speed of the propeller as equal to the speed of the tip. But the speed varies from zero at the center to a maximum at the tip. (What's the average speed?)

Thanks a lot :)

I personally don't understand how this question is done.
If I look at the formula and then at the question there is nothing in common?

so we know v = wr = 85 * 1.25 = 106.25 m/s
swept area = length * speed = 1.25 * 106.25 = 132.8

emf = (B*A*n)/t
emf = (132.8)/t
... how do I contnue (is this correct?)

1. What is emf and how is it related to angular velocity?

Electromotive force (emf) is the voltage produced by a magnetic field moving relative to a conductor. It is directly proportional to the angular velocity of the rotating conductor.

2. How do you calculate emf from angular velocity?

The formula for calculating emf from angular velocity is emf = angular velocity x magnetic field strength x length of conductor. This is known as the Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction.

3. Can emf be negative?

Yes, emf can be negative if the direction of the magnetic field or the direction of the angular velocity is reversed. This indicates a change in the direction of the induced current.

4. What is the unit of emf?

The SI unit of emf is volts (V). However, in some older literature, emf may be referred to as "energy per unit charge", hence the unit of joules per coulomb (J/C).

5. How is angular velocity measured?

Angular velocity is measured in radians per second (rad/s) and can be calculated by dividing the angle of rotation (in radians) by the time taken for the rotation to occur.