Calculating Energy in a 10μF Capacitor Charged to 24V

  • Thread starter Thread starter dan greig
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Capacitors Energy
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
dan greig
Messages
41
Reaction score
0
A 10 micro farad capacitor is fully charged by connecting a 24v battery.

How much energy is stored in the capacitor?

How much energy would be required from the battery to charge the capacitor to the 24v level?

Explain why the answers are different.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think I have found the answer to the first question using,

E = 1/2 CV^2 or E = 1/2 QV

and I think the reason the two answers wouldn't be the same is because the rate of charge decreases as the charge increases therefore the capacitor can never fully charge.

I don't see how I can get a different answer in the second question?
 
dan greig said:
I think I have found the answer to the first question using,

E = 1/2 CV^2 or E = 1/2 QV

and I think the reason the two answers wouldn't be the same is because the rate of charge decreases as the charge increases therefore the capacitor can never fully charge.

I don't see how I can get a different answer in the second question?
This is a trick question that comes up often in basic capacitor problems. Assume some source impedance for the battery, and calculate the energy that is burned in that resistance as the battery charges the cap. Then try a different source resistance and re-calculate...do you see a pattern?
 
well, the second answer is different coz there might be energy dissipation in the form of heat in the capacitors and the wires connecting them...Thats all I can think of.Otherwise the energy given out by the battery should be equal to the energy gained by the capacitor-energy conservation. What do u say?
 
rammstein said:
well, the second answer is different coz there might be energy dissipation in the form of heat in the capacitors and the wires connecting them...Thats all I can think of.Otherwise the energy given out by the battery should be equal to the energy gained by the capacitor-energy conservation. What do u say?




This is the route i think i have to go down, how would i calculate the amount of energy dissipated?

Is it half the amount of energy procuced by the battery is converted into charge in the capacitor? If so is there a formula to calculate this?