Calculating energy released due to fission of heavy nucleus into equal nuclei.,,

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
sudipmaity
Messages
48
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


There is this university exam question:
Draw the nuclear binding energy curve and and show that energy is released when a heavy nucleus of A> 200
breaks up into two nearly equal fragments.


Homework Equations


See below.

The Attempt at a Solution


I found in an example in Anwar Kamal Nuclear Physics , a solution to a similar problem where a heavy nucleus A=240 breaks into two nuclei A=120 each.

From binding energy curve he has taken B/A=8.5MeV for A=120 and B/A=7.6MeV for A=240.
Next he has shown energy released will be 240 (8.5-7.6)=216MeV.
My Question is can i do the university question in a similar fashion??
I take B/A~8.5MeV for A~200 and 7.6MeV for A~100.
I am getting released energy to be 200 (8.5-7.6)=180MeV

[/B]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?