Calculating Final Velocities in an Elastic Collision on an Air Track

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
stevethepirat
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A 0.147 glider is moving to the right on a frictionless, horizontal air track with a speed of 0.870 . It has a head-on collision with a 0.292 glider that is moving to the left with a speed of 2.20 . Suppose the collision is elastic. What is the magnitude of the final velocity of both
carts after the collision?

Homework Equations



M1U1+M2U2=M1V1+M2V2

The Attempt at a Solution


I can setup the equation and determine the direction both carts are traveling after the collision but with 2 unknowns for the final speeds I don't know how to find the exact speed each is traveling after the collision.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If th collision is perfectly elastic, there is a 2nd equation you can use. What else is conserved besides momentum in an elastic collision?
 
ok so I would set the initial kinetic energy equal to the final kinetic energy and solve for the velocity right?
 
stevethepirat said:
ok so I would set the initial kinetic energy equal to the final kinetic energy and solve for the velocity right?
you'd have to sove the 2 equations with 2 unknowns for the velocities...as I recall, it is a little tricky..but nonetheless, solvable.