1. PF Insights is off to a great start! Fresh and interesting articles on all things science and math. Here: PF Insights

Calculating Flue Gas Losses, Shell Boiler

1. I am currently performing an acceptance test for a newly installed gas fired shell boiler. I am following the British Standard "BS EN 12953-11:2003".

I have encountered a problem with equation (8.5-2) found on page 16 of the document described above. This problem being that a value of enthalpy is subtracted from itself, thus equating it to zero. Surely if this was correct then a value of zero would simply suffice within that section of the equation. The value i decribe is highlighted in the two images attached.

I have contacted the British Standard however it needs to run through a committee before they can produce an answer. Part of me does doubt my thoughts as it published ten years ago and a revised copy has not yet been published. Thought i'd best check with you guys though.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. SteamKing

SteamKing 8,931
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's probably some kind of typo.

4. I've found that this document has many typos. You'd think a british standard that was published ten years ago and has been confirmed wouldn't contain silly little errors like that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted