Calculating Compressor and Turbine Work in an Air Standard Gas-Turbine Cycle

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
FordRanger4x4
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The pressure ratio of an air standard gas-turbine cycle is 8/1 and the inlet conditions to the compressor are 200 KPa and 30C. The turbine is limited to a temperature of 1500K and the compressor and turbine adiabatic efficiencies are 60 and 90 respectively. Calculate compressor and turbine work

Homework Equations



The Attempt at a Solution



I am a bit confused on this particular problem. I drew my diagram with compressor and turbine and applied first law, initially assuming no heat transfer and solving for 0.6Wc=h2-h1, and similarily for 0.9Wt=h4-h3. With the pressure ratio given, I calculated p2(through the compressor) by p1 times the pressure ratio. From here I became stumped on the enthalpy calculation. Two thoughts, does temperature track pressure in the sense that I could multiply T1 by 6 and find T2? then it is just a matter of plugging in values from the tables to solve for work.

or, because max temperature in the turbine is given at 1500K I assume this to be the temperature leaving the compressor and calculate work, assume adiabatic and reversible and then multiply by the respective efficiencies?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
use compressor efficiency=ideal/actual entalphy ,for given pr ratio , To1 and effiency ..find only unknown To2 and substitute& find Wc=Cp(To2-To1).
so from direct substitution in Wc=Wt . GivenTo3 turbine inlet temp. Find To4 ..Sub in Wt=change in delta To *Cp.