Calculating Compressor and Turbine Work in an Air Standard Gas-Turbine Cycle

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of compressor and turbine work in an air standard gas-turbine cycle. The pressure ratio is given as 8/1 and the inlet conditions to the compressor are 200 KPa and 30C. The turbine is limited to a temperature of 1500K and the compressor and turbine adiabatic efficiencies are 60 and 90 respectively. Different approaches are suggested for calculating the work, including using the first law and assuming no heat transfer, and considering the compressor and turbine efficiencies.
FordRanger4x4

Homework Statement

The pressure ratio of an air standard gas-turbine cycle is 8/1 and the inlet conditions to the compressor are 200 KPa and 30C. The turbine is limited to a temperature of 1500K and the compressor and turbine adiabatic efficiencies are 60 and 90 respectively. Calculate compressor and turbine work

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am a bit confused on this particular problem. I drew my diagram with compressor and turbine and applied first law, initially assuming no heat transfer and solving for 0.6Wc=h2-h1, and similarily for 0.9Wt=h4-h3. With the pressure ratio given, I calculated p2(through the compressor) by p1 times the pressure ratio. From here I became stumped on the enthalpy calculation. Two thoughts, does temperature track pressure in the sense that I could multiply T1 by 6 and find T2? then it is just a matter of plugging in values from the tables to solve for work.

or, because max temperature in the turbine is given at 1500K I assume this to be the temperature leaving the compressor and calculate work, assume adiabatic and reversible and then multiply by the respective efficiencies?

Physics news on Phys.org
use compressor efficiency=ideal/actual entalphy ,for given pr ratio , To1 and effiency ..find only unknown To2 and substitute& find Wc=Cp(To2-To1).
so from direct substitution in Wc=Wt . GivenTo3 turbine inlet temp. Find To4 ..Sub in Wt=change in delta To *Cp.

1. What is the definition of compressor and turbine work?

Compressor work refers to the amount of energy required to compress a fluid, such as air, in a compressor. Turbine work, on the other hand, is the energy produced by a turbine as a result of expanding a pressurized fluid.

2. How is compressor and turbine work calculated?

Compressor work can be calculated by multiplying the change in enthalpy (heat content) of the compressed fluid by the mass flow rate. Turbine work can be calculated by multiplying the change in enthalpy of the expanded fluid by the mass flow rate.

3. What is the relationship between compressor and turbine work?

Compressor and turbine work are directly related. The work done by the compressor is equal to the work produced by the turbine. This is due to the conservation of energy principle.

4. What factors affect the amount of compressor and turbine work?

The amount of compressor and turbine work is affected by the type and design of the compressor and turbine, the properties of the fluid being compressed or expanded, and the operating conditions such as temperature and pressure.

5. What is the significance of compressor and turbine work in engineering?

Compressor and turbine work are important factors in the design and operation of many engineering systems, such as gas turbines, jet engines, and refrigeration systems. Understanding and optimizing compressor and turbine work is crucial in achieving desired performance and efficiency in these systems.