Calculating work done on a gas

In summary: This means that the internal energy change is equal to the work done. Since the process is adiabatic, the equation PV^γ = constant applies. This means that P_fV_f^γ = P_iV_i^γ, and since the external pressure is zero, P_f = 0. This leads to V_f = 0 and V_i = nRT_i/P_i. Substituting these values into the equation for work done, W_on = -P_f(V_f - V_i) = -0 = 0. Therefore, in summary, in an adiabatic process, the change in internal energy is equal to the work done.
Potatochip911

Homework Statement

n moles of an ideal gas are placed in a frictionless piston with weight ##w_p## and cross-sectional area ##A##. The quantity ##\gamma = \frac{c_p}{c_v}## is a constant, the gas is originally at equilibrium values##(P_i, V_i, \theta_i)## and the external pressure is taken to be zero. Internal Energy given by ##U = nc_v\theta## Find the irreversible work done if grain of weight ##w_g## is added the following ways:

a) All of the grain is added at once to the top of the piston, the piston oscillates and eventually reaches a new equilibrium at ##\theta_i##, show that ##W_{on}^{irrev}=nR\theta_i(\frac{w_g}{w_p})##

b) If no heat is allowed in or out of the gas (adiabatic process) and and all of the grain is added at once to the top of the piston show that ##W_{on}^{irrev}=\frac{nR\theta_i}{\gamma}(\frac{w_g}{w_p})##

Homework Equations

##\delta Q = \Delta U + W##

##W_{on} = - \int_{V_i}^{V_f} PdV##

##PV=nR\theta##

Adiabatic Process:

##PV^{\gamma} = constant##

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a) we have ##W_{on} = -\int_{V_i}^{V_f}PdV=-\int_{V_i}^{V_f}P_{ext}dV## and ##P_{ext} = \mbox{constant} = \frac{w_g+w_p}{A}## so

##W_{on}=-\frac{w_g+w_p}{A}\int_{V_i}^{V_f}dV= -\frac{w_g+w_p}{A}(V_f-V_i) \Longleftarrow (1)##

using the ideal gas law ##V_f = \frac{nR\theta_i}{P_f}=\frac{nR\theta_i A}{w_g+w_p}## and ##V_i =\frac{nR\theta_i A}{w_p}## so ##V_f - V_i = nR\theta_i A(\frac{w_p}{w_p(w_g+w_p)}-\frac{w_g+w_p}{w_p(w_g+w_p)}) = \frac{nR\theta_i A w_g}{(w_g+w_p)w_p} \Longleftarrow (2)##

Subbing (2) into (1) ##W_{on} = -\frac{w_g+w_p}{A}\frac{nR\theta_i A w_g}{w_p(w_g+w_p)}=nR\theta_i ( \frac{w_g}{w_p} )##

For part b) It seems to me like the exact same reasoning applies that ##W_{on} = -\int_{V_i}^{V_f} P_{ext}dV## but this will just produce the exact same result as I got in a), i.e. no ##\gamma## will appear in the denominator.

I'm pretty sure I'm missing a key concept here about it being an adiabatic process but I just can't see how it being adiabatic renders this thought process for calculating the work done incorrect.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Potatochip911 said:

Homework Statement

n moles of an ideal gas are placed in a frictionless piston with weight ##w_p## and cross-sectional area ##A##. The quantity ##\gamma = \frac{c_p}{c_v}## is a constant, the gas is originally at equilibrium values##(P_i, V_i, \theta_i)## and the external pressure is taken to be zero. Internal Energy given by ##U = nc_v\theta## Find the irreversible work done if grain of weight ##w_g## is added the following ways:

a) All of the grain is added at once to the top of the piston, the piston oscillates and eventually reaches a new equilibrium at ##\theta_i##, show that ##W_{on}^{irrev}=nR\theta_i(\frac{w_g}{w_p})##

b) If no heat is allowed in or out of the gas (adiabatic process) and and all of the grain is added at once to the top of the piston show that ##W_{on}^{irrev}=\frac{nR\theta_i}{\gamma}(\frac{w_g}{w_p})##

Homework Equations

##\delta Q = \Delta U + W##

##W_{on} = - \int_{V_i}^{V_f} PdV##

##PV=nR\theta##

Adiabatic Process:

##PV^{\gamma} = constant##

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a) we have ##W_{on} = -\int_{V_i}^{V_f}PdV=-\int_{V_i}^{V_f}P_{ext}dV## and ##P_{ext} = \mbox{constant} = \frac{w_g+w_p}{A}## so

##W_{on}=-\frac{w_g+w_p}{A}\int_{V_i}^{V_f}dV= -\frac{w_g+w_p}{A}(V_f-V_i) \Longleftarrow (1)##

using the ideal gas law ##V_f = \frac{nR\theta_i}{P_f}=\frac{nR\theta_i A}{w_g+w_p}## and ##V_i =\frac{nR\theta_i A}{w_p}## so ##V_f - V_i = nR\theta_i A(\frac{w_p}{w_p(w_g+w_p)}-\frac{w_g+w_p}{w_p(w_g+w_p)}) = \frac{nR\theta_i A w_g}{(w_g+w_p)w_p} \Longleftarrow (2)##

Subbing (2) into (1) ##W_{on} = -\frac{w_g+w_p}{A}\frac{nR\theta_i A w_g}{w_p(w_g+w_p)}=nR\theta_i ( \frac{w_g}{w_p} )##

For part b) It seems to me like the exact same reasoning applies that ##W_{on} = -\int_{V_i}^{V_f} P_{ext}dV## but this will just produce the exact same result as I got in a), i.e. no ##\gamma## will appear in the denominator.

I'm pretty sure I'm missing a key concept here about it being an adiabatic process but I just can't see how it being adiabatic renders this thought process for calculating the work done incorrect.
In the 2nd scenario, the internal energy changes because the temperature changes. In this scenario, Q is equal to zero.

Likes Potatochip911

What is work done on a gas?

Work done on a gas refers to the energy transferred to or from a gas through a change in volume or pressure. It is a measure of the force applied to the gas multiplied by the distance over which the force is applied.

How is work done on a gas calculated?

The work done on a gas can be calculated by multiplying the change in volume of the gas by the pressure applied to it. This can be represented by the equation W = P∆V, where W is the work done, P is the pressure, and ∆V is the change in volume.

What are the units of work done on a gas?

The units of work done on a gas can vary depending on the units used for pressure and volume. However, the most common units are joules (J) or Newton-meters (N∙m).

Can work be done on a gas without changing its volume?

Yes, work can be done on a gas without changing its volume. This can occur when the gas is in a closed container and the pressure is changed, causing the molecules of the gas to exert a force on the walls of the container. This results in work being done on the gas without a change in volume.

How does work done on a gas relate to the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. The work done on a gas is a transfer of energy in the form of work, and is therefore related to the first law of thermodynamics.