Calculating Flux for Hemispheres of Different Radii

  • Thread starter Thread starter Seraph404
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Flux
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 10K views
Seraph404
Messages
63
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



For some reason, I'm not quite understanding this scenario.

"
32005.jpg


Two hemispherical surfaces, 1 and 2, of respective radii r1 and r2, are centered at a point charge and are facing each other so that their edges define an annular ring (surface 3), as shown. The field at position [tex]\vec{r}[/tex] due to the point charge is:

[tex]\vec{E}[/tex]([tex]\vec{r}[/tex])= [C/(r^2)]*[tex]\hat{r}[/tex]

where C is a constant proportional to the charge, r=|[tex]\vec{r}[/tex]|, and [tex]\hat{r}[/tex]=[tex]\vec{r}[/tex]/r is the unit vector in the radial direction. "

I'm supposed to find electric flux through the three different surfaces, but for some reason, this picture just doesn't make sense to me.


Homework Equations



Electric flux is the integral of the dot product of electric field and dA (differential area element).



The Attempt at a Solution



I want to try figuring it out on my own first before I ask for help, but I don't quite understand this scenario. For example, I don't understand how the two images provided correlate, and I don't understand what the three different surfaces are. Sorry if the answer to this is obvious. ><
 
Physics news on Phys.org
See attached file
 
Attachments
  • flyingsaucer.jpg
    flyingsaucer.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 1,149
You don't need to open it. It's just an image to help you understand the surfaces.