Calculating Force Constant in a Spring Collision

• Thread starter PhysicsOPhun
  • Start date
In summary, two blocks, each with a mass of 0.40 kg, are sliding without friction on a horizontal surface. Block 1 is initially moving with a speed of 1.2 m/s while block 2 is at rest. When they collide, the spring bumper on block 1 is compressed and the maximum compression occurs when both blocks are moving at a speed of 0.60 m/s. This is an inelastic collision, meaning some energy is absorbed by the spring. To find the force constant of the spring, you need to calculate the kinetic energy of both blocks before and after the collision. The difference between the two will give you the energy stored in the spring.
PhysicsOPhun
Two blocks, each with a mass 0.40 {\rm kg}, can slide without friction on a horizontal surface. Initially, block 1 is in motion with a speed v = 1.2 {\rm m/s}; block 2 is at rest. When block 1 collides with block 2, a spring bumper on block 1 is compressed. Maximum compression of the spring occurs when the two blocks move with the same speed, v/2 = 0.60 {\rm m/s}.

If the maximum compression of the spring is 1.9 {\rm cm}, what is its force constant?

So, I just posted a question but this one seems just like it. I guess I don't understand what effect each force has on one another and where to begin calculating it. Should I be thinking about the work energy theorm? How would I set this problem up? Thanks in advance to any that can tackle this. This by the way is nothing close to what we have been learning but I guess they are trying to challenge us...and I'm very curious

Physics news on Phys.org
It's an inelastic collision since the spring absorbs some of the energy.

Block 1 will decelerate and block 2 will accelerate, and meanwhile some energy will be stored in spring. But, one is told that maximum deflection occurs when the speed of both blocks is v/2 (0.6 m/s).

So what is the KE of block 1 before the collision, and what is the KE of both blocks at v/2? What is the significance of the difference?

well the kinetic energy of both blocks moving at the same velocity is exactly half of the kinetic energy of the first block in motion. which means? i have the same problem and I'm still lost. i'll take a guess though. since both the velocity and the kinetic energy of the first block are halved, can i assume that potential energy of the first block is halved as well?

Last edited:
yes i can :D thanks for the help. i hope the original poster gets this

Sillybean...

Hey Sillybean, you have a message! :redface:

Related to Calculating Force Constant in a Spring Collision

1. What is "Another One Just like It"?

"Another One Just like It" is a phrase that is often used to describe something that is very similar or identical to another thing. It can be used in a positive or negative context, depending on the speaker's opinion.

2. Is "Another One Just like It" a scientific term?

No, "Another One Just like It" is not a scientific term. It is a colloquial phrase that is commonly used in everyday conversation.

3. How is "Another One Just like It" relevant in science?

In science, "Another One Just like It" can refer to identical or similar results or findings in research. It can also be used to describe the replication of experiments or studies to test the validity of previous findings.

4. Can "Another One Just like It" apply to other fields besides science?

Yes, the phrase "Another One Just like It" can be used in any field to describe something that is very similar or identical to another thing.

5. What is the origin of the phrase "Another One Just like It"?

The origin of this phrase is unclear, but it has been used in various forms since at least the early 20th century. It is commonly associated with the idea of finding something that is just as good as the original.