Calculating Force of Impact in Car-Motorcyclist Collision

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Protagoris
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Research
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Protagoris
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi, I'm researching for a story I'm writing and while not terrible at math I don't know the formulas needed, so I could use some help.

A car traveling north weights 3600 pounds, moving at 55 miles per hour changed lanes and strikes a motorcyclist weighting 550 (375 of vehicle, 175 of driver) pounds moving at 100 miles per hour also traveling north.

What's the force of impact the car would have on the motorcyclist, how far would the motorcyclist fly before hitting the ground, how long would the motorcyclist be in the air (if starting 3 feet off the ground), what is the force of impact the motorcyclist would have when hitting the ground, and how far might the motorcyclist might travel along the ground (if it were flat grass)?

I know there are probably a lot of variables here and that exact answers might not be feasible, but any help would be greatly appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
There's no hard & fast rules for situations like these, it's dependent on what car, what bike, what direction the bike is moving (even a 2 degree difference means a lot) I appreciate however that you want an accurate assessment but my advice would be just to go within the boarders of realism (i.e not the biker flying 50 foot backward :P). From a personal point of view, i could probably see the biker hitting the dashboard dependent on the car, and the bike getting crushed, but don't take my word for it.