Calculating Forces on an L-Bracket for Supporting Large Pipework

In summary, the person is installing an L-shaped bracket to support large pipework on a brickwork chimney. They are concerned about the forces on each fixing and are trying to calculate them using a free body diagram. They have marked the pivot point and fixings, but are unsure of the correct method as it has been a long time since their engineering degree. They also mention the different types of forces that the fixings can withstand.
GBE111
I am installing an L-shaped bracket into a brickwork chimney to support some large pipework. I am trying to work out the forces in each fixing to ensure that I won't be pulling the bracket off the wall once the pipes are filled with water.

I've tried drawing the free body diagram and to resolve the forces and the moments, but I'm not sure exactly how to do it. I've marked the location of where I believe the pivot point to be as X and the two fixings as A and B. Can someone please explain to me how to do this as it is a long time since I did my engineering degree!

P.S the force the fixing can withstand vertically in shear is different to the tensile force. I think this is relevant?

Many thanks,

Attachments

• CCF05017_0003.pdf
    325.1 KB · Views: 852
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello GBE, :welcome:
GBE111 said:
to ensure that I won't be pulling the bracket off the wall
You have the right suspicion there: your ##\sum M = F_y L## seems only part of the story to me (this would be around an axis located on the wall; since the bottom point can't move to the left, let's take that as the preliminary potential axis of rotation)

The condition for 'no pulling offf the wall' would be ##\sum M = 0## and the counteracting torque comes from the wall pulling on plugs A (mainly) and B.

Safest calculation would ignore B (e.g. because the bracket starts to bend there, so the axis of rotation moves up to, worst case, B) and then A needs to resist pulling force $$F_y L\over y-x$$
Make sense ?

What is an L-Bracket?

An L-bracket is a type of structural support that is shaped like an "L" which is used to reinforce and strengthen objects or structures.

What are the forces acting on an L-bracket?

The forces acting on an L-bracket include tension, compression, and shear forces. Tension forces are pulling the bracket apart, compression forces are pushing the bracket together, and shear forces are causing the bracket to slide.

How can I calculate the forces on an L-bracket?

The forces on an L-bracket can be calculated using the principles of statics, which involve analyzing the forces and moments acting on an object to determine the net force and moment balance. This can be done using equations such as Newton's second law and the sum of forces and moments equations.

What factors affect the forces on an L-bracket?

The forces on an L-bracket can be affected by several factors including the material and size of the bracket, the angle and direction of the forces acting on it, and the presence of any additional supports or loads.

Why are forces on an L-bracket important to understand?

Understanding the forces on an L-bracket is important for designing and constructing structures that are safe and structurally sound. It can also help in predicting the potential failure points of the bracket and determining the necessary reinforcements or modifications.