Calculating frequency and wavelength off of a graph

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the frequency and wavelength of a wave using a graph and given information about the velocity. The individual has tried different methods and is unsure if their answer is correct. They receive help from another person who explains the correct steps and how to interpret the graph. The final conclusion is that the wavelength would be 30 meters based on the given information.
Havenater23

Homework Statement

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc285/havenater23/RIP.jpg?t=1301441030

I've been trying out things on this problem, I really need some help. I tried finding the frequency by counting the waves and dividing it by the seconds it takes through the waves. EX : 4 (Waves)/ 11.2 (Secs). Then after that using the period to find frequency, then with the solved for I can find the wavelength. I don't know if I am right though, please help
-Thanks

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Havenater23 said:

Homework Statement

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc285/havenater23/RIP.jpg?t=1301441030

I've been trying out things on this problem, I really need some help. I tried finding the frequency by counting the waves and dividing it by the seconds it takes through the waves. EX : 4 (Waves)/ 11.2 (Secs). Then after that using the period to find frequency, then with the solved for I can find the wavelength. I don't know if I am right though, please help
-Thanks
On that graph, 4 "waves" (or full periods) takes about 10 seconds. Dividing 4 by that time will give you frequency, as you said.

After you get frequency, I don't know if you are doing it correctly unless you show your calculations.

Okay, well if you take 4/10 you get like 0.4 hz then.
Since you know the velocity = 12 m/s and you know the frequency then you can find the wavelength. The only thing is , you get an answer of like 30 m. If you look at that graph I find that almost impossible to correspond.

Havenater23 said:
Okay, well if you take 4/10 you get like 0.4 hz then.
Since you know the velocity = 12 m/s and you know the frequency then you can find the wavelength. The only thing is , you get an answer of like 30 m. If you look at that graph I find that almost impossible to correspond.
Why?

The graph is at a single location.

The wave velocity is 12m/s., so in a time of 10 seconds, a wave travels 120 meters.

The graph tells you that 4 waves pass by in a time of 10 seconds.

Put those together, and 4 waves span a distance of 120 meters.

The graph shown in the link appears to be a graph of a wave with a constant frequency. To calculate the frequency and wavelength, we can use the equation v = λf, where v is the speed of the wave, λ is the wavelength, and f is the frequency.

To find the frequency, we can use the period of the wave, which is the time it takes for one complete cycle. In this case, the period is 11.2 seconds. The frequency can be calculated by taking the inverse of the period, so f = 1/11.2 = 0.089 Hz.

To find the wavelength, we can use the equation λ = v/f. The speed of the wave can be determined by looking at the slope of the graph, which represents the speed of the wave. In this case, the slope appears to be 0.5 m/s. Therefore, the wavelength can be calculated as λ = 0.5/0.089 = 5.62 meters.

It is important to note that the units of frequency are in hertz (Hz) and the units of wavelength are in meters (m). Also, it is always a good idea to check your calculations and make sure they make sense in the context of the problem. In this case, the frequency and wavelength seem reasonable for a wave with a period of 11.2 seconds and a speed of 0.5 m/s.

1. How do you calculate frequency from a graph?

To calculate frequency from a graph, you need to find the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs on the graph. This distance represents one full wavelength. Then, you can use the formula frequency = 1 / wavelength to calculate the frequency.

2. Can frequency be calculated from any type of graph?

Frequency can be calculated from any graph that shows a repeating pattern, such as a wave or a vibration. However, the graph must have labeled units on the x-axis and y-axis in order to accurately calculate frequency.

3. How do you determine the wavelength from a graph?

To determine the wavelength from a graph, you need to find the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs on the graph. This distance represents one full wavelength. The units of the x-axis will determine the units of the wavelength.

4. What is the relationship between frequency and wavelength?

The relationship between frequency and wavelength can be described by the formula frequency = speed of light / wavelength. This means that as the frequency increases, the wavelength decreases, and vice versa.

5. Can you calculate frequency and wavelength if the graph is not labeled?

No, in order to accurately calculate frequency and wavelength from a graph, it must have labeled units on the x-axis and y-axis. Without this information, it is not possible to determine the values of frequency and wavelength.