Calculating Frictional Force of a Sliding Mass

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 17K views
zedx
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A 10.0-kg mass is placed on a 25.0o degree incline and friction keeps it from sliding. The
coefficient of static friction in this case is 0.580, and the coefficient of sliding friction is
0.520. The mass is given a shove causing it to slide down the incline.

Homework Equations



What is the frictional
force while the mass is sliding?

The Attempt at a Solution



This is all I have so far, but I don't exactly understand it:

Frictional force while the mass is sliding = μmgcosθ = 0.52 X 10 X 9.8 X cos 25
= 46.19 N


I need a full step-by-step explanation, if possible. I'll also take any other information about the problem that may make it easier. Thank you.
 
Physics news on Phys.org


Your 46.19 is correct.
You also need to find the downward, along the ramp force. It is the other component of mg, that is mg*sin(25). The net force along the ramp is this force minus the friction force.

I always draw the ramp, put the mass at the very top and draw the mg force vector straight down. Then separate that mg into the sum of a force along the ramp and perpendicular to the ramp. The perpendicular force is the normal force pulling the mass against the ramp surface.
 


Welcome to PF;
Draw a free-body diagram for the mass and you'll see how that relation was found.
 


Delphi51 said:
Your 46.19 is correct.
You also need to find the downward, along the ramp force. It is the other component of mg, that is mg*sin(25). The net force along the ramp is this force minus the friction force.

I always draw the ramp, put the mass at the very top and draw the mg force vector straight down. Then separate that mg into the sum of a force along the ramp and perpendicular to the ramp. The perpendicular force is the normal force pulling the mass against the ramp surface.

Simon Bridge said:
Welcome to PF;
Draw a free-body diagram for the mass and you'll see how that relation was found.

I'll do all of the above. Thank you.