1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the force of kinetic friction without a coefficient

1. Dec 18, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In a lab assignment we created a Fletcher's trolley system and were asked to calculate the normal force, the force of friction, and then create a graph of both to find the coefficient of kinetic friction.

So far, the variables I have are:

Hanging mass: 0.100 kg
    Sliding mass: 0.1553 kg
    Distance traveled by the sliding mass: 0.398 m
    Time taken for the sliding mass to reach the ground: 0.89 s
    Acceleration of the system: 1.01 m/s^2
    Normal force: 1.52 N
    Force of friction : Unknown

2. Relevant equations
    The acceleration of the system was found using the equation a=(2(d-vit))/t^2 which i simplified to a=2d/t^2 since vi was 0 m/s.

The normal force of the sliding object was found using Fn = mg

The force of friction would be calculated using Ffk = Fn*μk but I don't have μk.

3. The attempt at a solution
    As stated above, I tried using Ffk = Fn*μk but i didn't have all the variables.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2016 #2
    Did you draw free body diagrams for each of the 2 blocks and then write equations to relate sum of the forces to acceleration for each block?

4. Dec 18, 2016 #3
    Okay so I tried doing that and essentially what I got was that Ffk = Mg - ma where Mg is the force of the hanging object and ma is the force of both masses of the system multiplied by the system's acceleration because Fnet = Fapp -Ffk.

5. Dec 18, 2016 #4
    I'm not used to working with systems. I would normally write separate equations for each block and then solve the two equations with the two unknowns. But I think your equation below makes sense.
    So I think you have everything you need to solve that equation, provided you rewrite Ffk in terms of the normal force. You know the masses and acceleration.

I did not know what Fapp was.

Edit: P.S. Welcome to Physics Forums.

6. Dec 18, 2016 #5
    Fapp was a formula for applied force which I used to derive my new formula for Ffk. Other than that, I now have everything I need to calculate the force of friction. Thank you!

7. Dec 18, 2016 #6
    Let me know what you get for a final answer. I always like to check my work.

8. Dec 18, 2016 #7
    So I subbed in the values resulting in the equation becoming Ffk = (0.100 kg(9.81m/s^2))-((0.100kg+0.1553kg)(1.01m/s)) which resulted in the answer being 0.723 N rounded to three significant digits.

9. Dec 18, 2016 #8
    Okay, that looks right. For some reason, I was thinking that the goal of the problem was to find the coefficient of friction. And as I now re-read the problem statement, finding the coefficient of friction is indeed the final question. I just don't know why you would need to create a graph to do that.

10. Dec 18, 2016 #9
    It's just a procedure my professor told us to use even though we could find the coefficient using μk = Ffk/Fn after Ffk was determined. Either way, thanks again for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted