Finding the force of kinetic friction without a coefficient

In summary, the student attempted to solve an equation relating the normal force, force of friction, and acceleration of a system. They were not able to find the coefficient of friction, but were able to find the normal force and the force of friction using a simplified equation.
Her0

Homework Statement

In a lab assignment we created a Fletcher's trolley system and were asked to calculate the normal force, the force of friction, and then create a graph of both to find the coefficient of kinetic friction.

So far, the variables I have are:

Hanging mass: 0.100 kg
Sliding mass: 0.1553 kg
Distance traveled by the sliding mass: 0.398 m
Time taken for the sliding mass to reach the ground: 0.89 s
Acceleration of the system: 1.01 m/s^2
Normal force: 1.52 N
Force of friction : Unknown

Homework Equations

The acceleration of the system was found using the equation a=(2(d-vit))/t^2 which i simplified to a=2d/t^2 since vi was 0 m/s.

The normal force of the sliding object was found using Fn = mg

The force of friction would be calculated using Ffk = Fn*μk but I don't have μk.

The Attempt at a Solution

As stated above, I tried using Ffk = Fn*μk but i didn't have all the variables.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you draw free body diagrams for each of the 2 blocks and then write equations to relate sum of the forces to acceleration for each block?

TomHart said:
Did you draw free body diagrams for each of the 2 blocks and then write equations to relate sum of the forces to acceleration for each block?
Okay so I tried doing that and essentially what I got was that Ffk = Mg - ma where Mg is the force of the hanging object and ma is the force of both masses of the system multiplied by the system's acceleration because Fnet = Fapp -Ffk.

I'm not used to working with systems. I would normally write separate equations for each block and then solve the two equations with the two unknowns. But I think your equation below makes sense.
Her0 said:
Ffk = Mg - ma
So I think you have everything you need to solve that equation, provided you rewrite Ffk in terms of the normal force. You know the masses and acceleration.

I did not know what Fapp was.

Edit: P.S. Welcome to Physics Forums.

Likes Her0
TomHart said:
I'm not used to working with systems. I would normally write separate equations for each block and then solve the two equations with the two unknowns. But I think your equation below makes sense.

So I think you have everything you need to solve that equation, provided you rewrite Ffk in terms of the normal force. You know the masses and acceleration.

I did not know what Fapp was.

Edit: P.S. Welcome to Physics Forums.
Fapp was a formula for applied force which I used to derive my new formula for Ffk. Other than that, I now have everything I need to calculate the force of friction. Thank you!

Likes TomHart
Let me know what you get for a final answer. I always like to check my work.

So I subbed in the values resulting in the equation becoming Ffk = (0.100 kg(9.81m/s^2))-((0.100kg+0.1553kg)(1.01m/s)) which resulted in the answer being 0.723 N rounded to three significant digits.

Okay, that looks right. For some reason, I was thinking that the goal of the problem was to find the coefficient of friction. And as I now re-read the problem statement, finding the coefficient of friction is indeed the final question. I just don't know why you would need to create a graph to do that.

It's just a procedure my professor told us to use even though we could find the coefficient using μk = Ffk/Fn after Ffk was determined. Either way, thanks again for the help.

Likes TomHart

1. How do I calculate the force of kinetic friction without knowing the coefficient?

The force of kinetic friction can be calculated by multiplying the normal force (the force perpendicular to the surface) by the coefficient of kinetic friction. However, if the coefficient is unknown, you can use the formula Fk = μk * N, where Fk is the force of kinetic friction, μk is the coefficient of kinetic friction, and N is the normal force. By rearranging the formula, you can solve for the coefficient of kinetic friction if you know the force of kinetic friction and the normal force.

2. Can the force of kinetic friction be negative?

No, the force of kinetic friction cannot be negative. It always acts in the opposite direction of the motion of the object and is represented by a negative value in equations, but it is still a positive force. If the calculated force of kinetic friction is negative, it means that the direction of the force is opposite of what was assumed, and it should be represented as a positive value with a negative sign in front.

3. What factors affect the force of kinetic friction?

The force of kinetic friction is affected by the coefficient of kinetic friction, the normal force, and the surfaces in contact. The coefficient of kinetic friction is determined by the type of materials in contact and their roughness. The normal force is affected by the weight of the object and the angle at which it is being pulled or pushed. The roughness and type of surfaces in contact can also affect the force of kinetic friction.

4. How does the force of kinetic friction affect an object's motion?

The force of kinetic friction acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion and slows it down. This force is directly proportional to the object's weight and the coefficient of kinetic friction, so a heavier object or a rougher surface will experience a greater force of kinetic friction and will slow down more quickly.

5. Can the force of kinetic friction be greater than the force applied to an object?

Yes, the force of kinetic friction can be greater than the force applied to an object. In fact, the force of kinetic friction is often greater than the applied force, as it is the force that opposes the motion and causes the object to slow down. This is why it is important to consider the force of kinetic friction when predicting an object's motion.