1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Gauge Pressure Have I worked it correctly?

1. Dec 12, 2007 #1
    Simple Gauge Pressure Question

(a) Calculate the gauge pressure (it does not include atmosphereric P) required to compress pure water from 1.000 L to 989 mL. Give an answer in both N/m^2 and psi, lb/in^2.

(b) What height in meters and feet of a 1x1 cm^2 steel bar (density=7.86 g/cm^3) is required to exert the pressure found in part (a)?

3.Work and answers in the attached file.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2007 #2

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

Avoid multiple postings

Hi, you seem to have posted the same question three times in different forums. I had given you an answer yesterday. If you didn't find my answer helpful. you could have just said so and others would have come forward to help you. Here's what I'd written.

a. Use the formula for bulk modulus. B = delta P/(delta v)/v. B for water is 2.2*10^9 N/m^2.

I hope the other answers will follow.

Where are you getting stuck?

Oh, I see that you have enclosed your work. We'll see it as soon as it's clear for approval.
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?