How to Calculate Gauge Pressure to Compress Water?

  • Thread starter Thread starter predentalgirl1
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
predentalgirl1
Messages
61
Reaction score
1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have tried and tried to figure this out but I'm getting no where. Can anyone help me?

(a) Calculate the gauge pressure (it does not include atmosphereric P) required to compress pure water from 1.000 L to 989 mL. Give an answer in both N/m^2 and psi, lb/in^2.

(b) What height in meters and feet of a 1x1 cm^2 steel bar (density=7.86 g/cm^3) is required to exert the pressure found in part (a)?


(c) How many total pounds of steel would be required to exert this pressure on one cubic face of a liter of water (1 L= 1 cubic decimeter)?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
a. Use the formula for bulk modulus. B = delta P/(delta v)/v. B for water is 2.2*10^9 N/m^2.

I hope the other answers will follow.