Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating heat from H2 and O2

1. Feb 9, 2009 #1
    It is known that Hydrogen and Oxygen when combined can combust of course. So my question is : Can I calculate the heat produced from this combustion if I put a certain amount of hydrogen and oxygen?

Please Explain with an example.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2009 #2
    You certainly can calculate it. Since all H2/O2 molecules are identical, the same amount of energy will be released each time and so we can just quote a standard value from a textbook. I presume the reaction you have in mind is

2*H2 + O2 --> 2*H2O

which according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen" [Broken] has an enthalpy of combustion equal to 287 KJ/mol.

If you have a molar ratio different from 2:1 then complete combustion is impossible and the amount of energy you can extract will differ.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Feb 9, 2009 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Google "heat of combustion hydrogen", then multiply that number by the amount of hydrogen you have.

5. Feb 10, 2009 #4
    I think I understand this part but I've got a couple of questions.

1. When you say "complete combustion is impossible" that doesn't mean there's no combustion, there is but with a less or more amount. Right?

2. if such thing (molar ratio diffrent than 2:1) happened how can I calculate the energy then.

Again could you give me an example.

Thanks alot.

6. Feb 10, 2009 #5
    If I have the amount of hydrogen ( number of moles ) then I can calculate the heat energy. Ok, but let me get this right.. We didn't mention the oxygen because it doesn't have heat of combustion, but if I mix the hydrogen with any element that has heat of combustion I'll just add them to get the final heat of combustion. SO Is that right?

7. Feb 10, 2009 #6
    Another Question :

How can you calculate the temperature when you have the heat energy? I think of course it needs another factor like the "initial temprature" but I don't know...

Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook