Calculating Heat Transfer of Photovoltaic Panels

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter xharville
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Calculation
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
xharville
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
I was wondering how one would calculate the heat transfer of an object such as a photovoltaic panel that is made up of different materials, all with different thermal conductivity values. Also how would one calculate the heat transfer if a photovoltaic panel is on top of a flowing water source.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Since the panel is solid (doesn't have an air gap with air flowing in it), you can use conductive heat transfer and the idea of the composite plane wall.

http://www.nd.edu/~msen/Teaching/IntHT/Slides/03A%20-Chapter%203%20-%20Sec%203.1%20thru%203.4.ppt

Pay particular attention to slide 6
 
But how would one find the overall heat transfer coefficient of the solar panel. Would I just use the thermal conductivity value of the solar cells and use this value for the entire photovoltaic panel. Also what value would I use if I added a steel backing to the photovoltaic panel.