Calculating heated rectangle temperature rise

In summary: You also need to know the temperature of the surrounding air. If the air is still, 20 C is a good guess.In summary, the individual is asking how to calculate the final temperature of a rectangular block with a small heater in the middle, using the three-dimensional heat equation and boundary conditions. They also mention needing to estimate the heat transfer coefficient and the surrounding air temperature.
Sherlock_H
Hi
I have a question about temperature rise and thermal conductivity.
If I have a small 1 watt heater (3 x 3 x 3mm) in the middle of a rectangular block (100x40x70mm) made of a material that has a thermal conductivity of 0.48W/mk, how do I work out the final temperature that the block settles at, on the surface i.e temperature rise above ambient.
I'm assuming the block is in still air, at say 20C.
Do I have to work out the thermal resistance of the block to air? I'm not sure how to do this when its in 3 dimensions.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi, Sherlock!

Are you familiar with the three-dimensional heat equation? Since you're only interested in the final temperature, you need to solve, either numerically or analytically, the steady state heat equation, a partial differential equation
[tex]\frac{\partial^2 T}{\partial x^2} + \frac{\partial^2 T}{\partial y^2} + \frac{\partial^2 T}{\partial z^2} = 0[/tex]
This equation will model the temperature distribution in the block, but you will need to identify the boundary conditions of your system. For example, you can use convective boundary conditions at the interfaces between the block and the air. The boundary conditions at the middle of the block are what will give you most trouble, but I'm sure someone more experienced will come and help us with that.

In any case, start getting familiar with the heat equation and boundary conditions, and I also recommend consulting a heat transfer textbook. Personally, I like Fundamentals of Heat and Mass Transfer by Incropera et al.

Likes billy_joule
Sherlock_H said:
Hi
I have a question about temperature rise and thermal conductivity.
If I have a small 1 watt heater (3 x 3 x 3mm) in the middle of a rectangular block (100x40x70mm) made of a material that has a thermal conductivity of 0.48W/mk, how do I work out the final temperature that the block settles at, on the surface i.e temperature rise above ambient.
I'm assuming the block is in still air, at say 20C.
Do I have to work out the thermal resistance of the block to air? I'm not sure how to do this when its in 3 dimensions.

Thanks
Yes. You need to have some estimate of the heat transfer coefficient from the block to the air. It won't be very accurate, but you can find typical values in the literature. I would be inclined to assume a low value of say 1 BTU/hr-ft^2-F.

What is the formula for calculating the temperature rise of a heated rectangle?

The formula for calculating the temperature rise of a heated rectangle is: ΔT = Q/(m•Cp), where ΔT is the temperature rise in degrees Celsius, Q is the heat energy in Joules, m is the mass of the rectangle in kilograms, and Cp is the specific heat capacity of the material in Joules per kilogram per degree Celsius.

How do I determine the heat energy of a heated rectangle?

To determine the heat energy of a heated rectangle, you will need to know the power of the heat source (in watts) and the time the rectangle is exposed to the heat. Then, you can use the formula Q = Pt, where Q is the heat energy in Joules, P is the power in watts, and t is the time in seconds.

What factors can affect the temperature rise of a heated rectangle?

The temperature rise of a heated rectangle can be affected by several factors, including the heat energy applied, the material and mass of the rectangle, and the specific heat capacity of the material. Other factors such as the initial temperature of the rectangle, ambient temperature, and insulation can also play a role in the temperature rise.

Can the temperature rise of a heated rectangle be accurately predicted?

While the formula for calculating temperature rise can provide a good estimate, there may be some variables and external factors that can affect the accuracy of the prediction. It is always best to conduct experiments and collect data to verify the estimated temperature rise.

What are some practical applications for calculating heated rectangle temperature rise?

Calculating the temperature rise of a heated rectangle can be useful in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and materials science. It can help in designing and optimizing heating systems, predicting thermal expansion and stress in materials, and understanding heat transfer processes. It can also be applied in real-life scenarios, such as determining the temperature rise of a building due to sunlight exposure or predicting the temperature rise of a heated food item in a microwave.