Heat transfer through a MultiLayer Cylinder (find the Temperature inside)

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving a multi-layer cylinder made of different metals with known temperatures and material properties over time. The individual layers are C350 marraging steel, Zinc Alloy-12, and 6061 Aluminum T6. The person is seeking help with conductive heat transfer equations but is not familiar with them. The expert explains the transient heat conduction equation for cylindrical coordinates and the boundary conditions at the inner radius and between layers.
Jweck002
TL;DR Summary
Finding interior wall Temperature through a Multi Layer Cylinder knowing only exterior temp
Hello,

I am a Mechanical Engineer a little out of practice on Heat transfer. I am trying to solve this problem. It must be solvable but i have yet to find right equations online.
I have a multi Layer Cylinder made up of C350 marraging Steel,Zinc Alloy-12 , then 6061 Aluminum T6. All that is known is the temperature of the steel and of course the parameters & material properties of each metal. The temperature is over a time also. Outside surface starts 70 F @ 0 seconds and goes 180 F @ 25 s, 200 F @ 40s, 225F @ 45s, 250F @ 50s, 280 @ 60s.
I was looking for conductive heat transfer but all formulas i found need Q (heat flux). Which i don't believe i have. Please help.
Material properties:
C350 :
denisty : 0.292 lb/in^3
conductivity: k = 25.3 W/mK @ 20C

ZA-12:
density: 0.218 lb/in3
Conductivity: k = 110 W/m-K

Al 6061 T6:
Density: 0.0975 lb/in³
Conductivity: k= 167 W/m-k
1580482630439.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you willing to accept a numerical solution?

Likes Jweck002
Chestermiller said:
Are you willing to accept a numerical solution?

yes, as long as work is shown and explained so i may learn. Thanks for the help.

I'm not going to provide you with the numerical solution. I'm just going to explain how to formulate the equations and describe what is involved in solving the equations numerically. Are you familiar with the transient heat conduction equation in cylindrical coordinates for a circumferentially symmetric system like this (where the temperature varies only radially)? If so, please write it down.

Chestermiller said:
I'm not going to provide you with the numerical solution. I'm just going to explain how to formulate the equations and describe what is involved in solving the equations numerically. Are you familiar with the transient heat conduction equation in cylindrical coordinates for a circumferentially symmetric system like this (where the temperature varies only radially)? If so, please write it down.

I do not fully remember it. Is is something like this? (sorry i haven't taken heat transfer in a few years)
IMG_0389.jpg

Yes. That is correct. For your situation (and, assuming constant thermal properties), it reduces to
$$\rho C_p\frac{\partial T}{\partial t}=\frac{k}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\left(r\frac{\partial T}{\partial r}\right)$$This equation applies to each and every one of the layers (of course, using the properties for each layer). The boundary condition at the very outer radius is ##T(R,t)=F(t)## where F is the imposed time-dependent temperature variation. What do you think the boundary condition at the very inner radius is? What do you think the boundary conditions are at the interfaces between the layers?

Chestermiller said:
Yes. That is correct. For your situation (and, assuming constant thermal properties), it reduces to
$$\rho C_p\frac{\partial T}{\partial t}=\frac{k}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\left(r\frac{\partial T}{\partial r}\right)$$This equation applies to each and every one of the layers (of course, using the properties for each layer). The boundary condition at the very outer radius is ##T(R,t)=F(t)## where F is the imposed time-dependent temperature variation. What do you think the boundary condition at the very inner radius is? What do you think the boundary conditions are at the interfaces between the layers?

I have no clue. I am out of my depth here. Do not remember this at all
is it

Attachments

• IMG_0393.jpg
    IMG_0393.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 170
Jweck002 said:
I have no clue. I am out of my depth here. Do not remember this at all
is it
No. At the very inner radius, the heat flux is zero, so ##\frac{\partial T}{\partial r}=0##

At the interfaces between layers, T is continuous and the heat flux is continuous: $$T^+=T^- $$and$$\left[k\left(\frac{\partial T}{\partial r}\right)\right]^+=\left[k\left(\frac{\partial T}{\partial r}\right)\right]^-$$ where the + and the - refer to the two abutting materials at the interface (i.e., the two sides of the interface).

Last edited:
Likes Jweck002

1. How does heat transfer through a MultiLayer Cylinder?

Heat transfer through a MultiLayer Cylinder occurs through a combination of conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact between the layers, convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids within the cylinder, and radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

2. What factors affect the temperature inside a MultiLayer Cylinder?

The temperature inside a MultiLayer Cylinder is affected by the thermal conductivity of the materials, the thickness and number of layers, the temperature difference between the inner and outer layers, and the surface area of the cylinder.

3. How is the temperature inside a MultiLayer Cylinder calculated?

The temperature inside a MultiLayer Cylinder can be calculated using the Fourier's Law of Heat Conduction, which takes into account the thermal conductivity of the materials, the thickness of each layer, and the temperature difference between the inner and outer layers.

4. Can the temperature inside a MultiLayer Cylinder be controlled?

Yes, the temperature inside a MultiLayer Cylinder can be controlled by adjusting the thermal properties of the materials used, such as using materials with higher or lower thermal conductivity, and by changing the temperature difference between the inner and outer layers.

5. What are the practical applications of studying heat transfer through MultiLayer Cylinders?

Studying heat transfer through MultiLayer Cylinders has practical applications in various fields, such as in the design of insulation materials, in the development of heat exchangers, and in understanding the thermal behavior of structures and systems.