Calculating if a Pipe Clamp will slip

• Thread starter SteveGlow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pipe Slip
In summary: This collar has a hole in it so that a screw can be inserted and tightened against the pipe clamp. This will provide the longitudinal restraint.
SteveGlow
Hi,

First, I want to thank ahead of time any help that can be provided. Second, I'm just an advanced tinker'r needing help on a project.

Description:
-Lever 1 and Clamp are attached
-Lever 2 and Rod 2 are attached.
-Clamp is tightened around Rod 2
-Upward force on end of Lever 2 needs to be at least 90 lbs without Clamp slipping.

What I've tried to do:
1. Calculate the Clamping Force using the equation from:(https://www.engineersedge.com/calculators/torque_calc.htm)
Bolt Major Dia: .3125"
Coef Friction: .2 (steel)
Calculated Axial bolt clamp force = 800 lbs

2. Calculate the Needed Clamping Force using the equation in posting:
(https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/determining-the-clamping-force-on-a-tube.558240/)
F_clamping X Radius_tube = F_applied X Larm or
F_Clamping = (F_applied X Larm) / Radius_tube
= (50 lbs x 2.756") / .237"
= 581.435 lbs
Summary:
Since the Clamping Force of 800 lbs exceeds the needed F_Clamping of 581 lbs, this scenario should be successful.

Is all of this correct?

I do wonder if the 160 deg angle affects this. Also, how does the contact square area of the clamp come into play on frictional force?

Thanks Again!

Lever-Force-Equation.jpg

Attachments

• Lever Force Equation.pdf
    400.9 KB · Views: 773
  • Lever-Force-Equation.jpg
    Lever-Force-Equation.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 2,840
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I find your calculations a bit confusing.

You seem to find the axial tension in the bolt (or bolts ?) to be 800 lb force. I haven't checked this. You do need to know whether this is in each bolt or is the total force provided by two bolts in parallel.

Then you calculate (I think) the needed clamping torque of the clamp on rod 2, by equating it to the torque applied by a 50 lb force on rod 1. I haven't checked this either, because your calculation is in inches, when the diagram dimensions are in mm.
I don't know where the 50 lb force on rod 1 is obtained from. It's not marked on the diagram nor stated in the problem description. I hope you're not getting confused with the "50 psi" torque applied to the bolts? (Which should be 50 lb inches or some such.)

On your diagram you state,"Min lifting force 90 lb (178 N) required".
Neither value appears in your calculation and you should note that 90 lb force ≠ 178 N, so which is the min required?

On the other hand the angle between input and output torques does not matter, UNLESS the forces applied are not perpendicular to the arms.

Perhaps you can clarify the problem. And maybe make what you are calculating, with what values, obtained from where, a bit clearer.

Likes Tom.G
I don't know about other industry applications, but, in the petroleum industry pipe clamps alone are not used to restrict the forces or movements longitudinal to the pipeline. One solution is to weld a collar to the pipe that rests against the pipe clamp.

Likes MisterX

1. How do you calculate the maximum load a pipe clamp can hold before slipping?

The maximum load a pipe clamp can hold before slipping can be calculated using the formula: Maximum Load = Tensile Strength of Pipe x Friction Coefficient. The tensile strength of the pipe can be obtained from the manufacturer and the friction coefficient is a value that takes into account the type of material and surface finish of the pipe and clamp.

2. What factors affect the likelihood of a pipe clamp slipping?

The likelihood of a pipe clamp slipping can be affected by several factors such as the type of material and surface finish of the pipe and clamp, the strength and quality of the welds, the tightening torque of the clamp, and the external load being applied.

3. Can the angle of the pipe affect the calculation for pipe clamp slip?

Yes, the angle of the pipe can affect the calculation for pipe clamp slip. The friction coefficient used in the calculation may change depending on the angle of the pipe. For example, a vertical pipe may have a higher friction coefficient compared to a horizontal pipe.

4. Is there a safety factor to consider when calculating pipe clamp slip?

Yes, it is recommended to use a safety factor when calculating pipe clamp slip. This ensures that the pipe clamp can hold a higher load than the calculated maximum load, providing a margin of safety in case of unexpected external forces or variations in material strength.

5. How can I test the maximum load capacity of a pipe clamp?

The maximum load capacity of a pipe clamp can be tested by applying incremental loads to the clamp and monitoring any signs of slipping or failure. The load at which the clamp starts to slip is the maximum load capacity. It is important to follow proper safety procedures and use appropriate equipment while conducting these tests.