Calculating Impact Force of Dropping Metal Ball on Foam Mat

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
gonefishing
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
When dropping a metal ball onto a foam mat what is the formula for the impact speed. I know the impact speed, rebound speed, the mass of the ball and time of the ball on the mat.



I know:

F = m[delta]v
...[delta]t

and

F = mg , where g= -9.8 N/kg


But what is the impact force?

Is it F = m[delta]v + mg ?
....[delta]t
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Force

[tex]F = \frac{d\rho}{dt}[/tex]

:rolleyes:

(Does my LaTeX work?)
 
ok, but still I don't understand whether the weight force affects the value of the impact force.

The ball is being dropped vertically, so do we add the weight force to dp/dt?
 
gonefishing said:
ok, but still I don't understand whether the weight force affects the value of the impact force.

The ball is being dropped vertically, so do we add the weight force to dp/dt?
When you calculate the momentum change over time, you are calculating the NET force acting on the object, per Newton's 2nd law. The net force is a combination of the gravity force downward and the normal force upward. So, what does that tell you about the 'impact' (normal) force?