Calculating Impact Force of a Schmidt Hammer

In summary, the individual is seeking assistance with calculating the impact force of an instrument, specifically a Schmidt hammer, which uses a spring-loaded piston to produce an impulse against a surface. They have the rebound value, which is a measure of rebound energy, and the impact energy, but are missing the impulse contact time and stopping distance. They are wondering if there is a way to calculate the impact force using only the change in energy and the information from the rebound. They apologize for not providing further information and ask if there are any new conclusions or if the post can be reworded.
tetherballninja
Hi! I have apparently forgotten way too much college physics, and could really use some help here. I'm trying to calculate the impact force of an instrument (a Schmidt hammer--uses a spring-loaded piston) that produces an impulse against a surface. The instrument registers a rebound value (which I believe is a measure of rebound energy), and I know the impact energy. I don't have the impulse contact time, or the stopping distance, but both are very small (think very stiff spring-loaded metal piston slamming into a cement wall).

So the question is, given only a change in energy (I don't think it matters if you think of it as spring potential, or kinetic just before impact) during an inelastic collision--plus any other information I may be overlooking that can be gleaned from the "rebound" (momentum?)--is there any way to calculate the impact force?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

1. How is the impact force of a Schmidt Hammer calculated?

The impact force of a Schmidt Hammer is calculated using the equation F = m∆v/∆t, where F is the impact force, m is the mass of the hammer, ∆v is the change in velocity of the hammer upon impact, and ∆t is the time duration of the impact.

2. What is the significance of calculating the impact force of a Schmidt Hammer?

Calculating the impact force of a Schmidt Hammer is important in determining the strength and integrity of a material or structure. It can also help in understanding the potential damage that could occur from repeated impacts on the same surface.

3. How does the hardness of the material affect the impact force?

The hardness of the material being tested can affect the impact force of a Schmidt Hammer. Harder materials will require a higher impact force to produce a measurable rebound, while softer materials will have a lower impact force.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Schmidt Hammer method for calculating impact force?

Yes, there are limitations to using the Schmidt Hammer method for calculating impact force. Factors such as surface roughness, shape and size of the material, and the angle of impact can all affect the accuracy of the results.

5. Can the impact force of a Schmidt Hammer be used to predict the compressive strength of a material?

No, the impact force of a Schmidt Hammer cannot be used to accurately predict the compressive strength of a material. It is only a measure of surface hardness and cannot account for internal structural properties of the material.