Calculating intercept with x-axis

• Thread starter GregA
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about solving an exam question involving the function f(x) = 12lnx - x^(3/2) and finding the x coordinates at points A, B, and C on the graph. The first part of the question asks to show by calculation that the x coordinate at A lies between 1.1 and 1.2. The second part asks to determine the value of B, which lies in the interval (n,n+1) where n is an integer. The third part asks to find the value of x for which dy/dx = 0 and hence find the maximum value of C. The fourth part asks to find the range of values of x for which f(x) is increasing
GregA
I am looking more for a better method of solving this exam question as opposed to a solution (already solved but in one area I believe, badly.)
f(x) =12lnx - x^(3/2)
the graph cuts the x-axis at A reaches a maximum point at C then cuts again at B.
A) show by calculation that the x coordinate at A lies between 1.1 and 1.2
b) b lies in the interval (n,n+1) where n is an integer. Determine B
c) find the value of x for which dy/dx = 0 and hence find the maximum value of C
d) find the range of values of x for which f(x) is increasing
c) and d) are pretty straight forward...
the only way I could calculate a) was to start by saying...lnx>1 (as with a lower value... x^(3/2) would be less than 1..lnx for x<1 yields a negative result) using a value of 1 for x I found that lnx = 1^(3/2)/12 and this gives a value of 1.087...x must now be greater than this number, repeating this method I found x around 1.101068...
question b) is my problem... how can the x position at B be calculated? the above method fails. (I only solved it by throwing a few numbers at it until I hit the correct range...I know from question c that I'm looking for a value greater than 4)
my knowledge so far is limited to differentiating and integrating polynomials and lnx, finding areas and stationery values etc...I haven't covered much more so far and have certainly not done any work on soving these types of problems...there must surely be a solution however.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
GregA said:
I am looking more for a better method of solving this exam question as opposed to a solution (already solved but in one area I believe, badly.)
f(x) =12lnx - x^(3/2)
the graph cuts the x-axis at A reaches a maximum point at C then cuts again at B.
A) show by calculation that the x coordinate at A lies between 1.1 and 1.2
b) b lies in the interval (n,n+1) where n is an integer. Determine B
c) find the value of x for which dy/dx = 0 and hence find the maximum value of C
d) find the range of values of x for which f(x) is increasing
c) and d) are pretty straight forward...
the only way I could calculate a) was to start by saying...lnx>1 (as with a lower value... x^(3/2) would be less than 1) using a value of 1 for x I found that lnx = 1^(3/2)/12 and this gives a value of 1.087...x must now be greater than this number, repeating this method I found x around 1.101068..
The problem does not ask to find where the x-intercept is- only to show that there must be one between 1.1 and 1.2. What is f(1.1)? What is f(1.2)? What does that tell you?

question b) is my problem... how can the x position at B be calculated? the above method fails. (I only solved it by throwing a few numbers at it until I hit the correct range)
The problem said "b) b lies in the interval (n,n+1) where n is an integer. Determine B" Once again, it does not ask for a precise value.
Find f(2), f(3), f(4), etc. until the sign changes.
("Trial and error" is a perfectly valid mathematical method!)

Use the http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Mean-ValueTheorem.html" on a)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies folks...when the question asked me to *show by calculation* that x lies between 1.1 and 1.2 HallsofIvy, I did actually try f(1.1) and f(1.2) but was under the impression that being a question at the tail end of 48 questions, being able to find accurate values for x was expected...( it just annoys me when I believe there's an answer somewhere that I cannot find :mad: )
Thanks for the link Incredible...There is no reference to that theorem in the textbook I'm using right now but I will certainly have a good look at it. :smile:

1. How do you calculate the intercept with the x-axis?

The intercept with the x-axis is the point at which the graph of a line intersects with the x-axis. To calculate it, set y=0 in the equation of the line and solve for x. This will give you the x-coordinate of the intercept.

2. What is the significance of the intercept with the x-axis?

The intercept with the x-axis is important because it represents the value of x when the value of y is equal to 0. It can also be used to find the x-intercept of a line, which is the point where the line crosses the x-axis.

3. Can you calculate the intercept with the x-axis for any type of graph?

Yes, the intercept with the x-axis can be calculated for any graph, as long as it is a straight line. For non-linear graphs, there may not be a single intercept with the x-axis, as the line may cross the x-axis at multiple points.

4. How do you determine if a line has an intercept with the x-axis?

A line will have an intercept with the x-axis if its equation can be written in the form y=mx+b, where b is the y-intercept. In this case, the x-intercept would be the point (0,b). If the equation cannot be written in this form, the line does not have an intercept with the x-axis.

5. Can the intercept with the x-axis be negative?

Yes, the intercept with the x-axis can be negative. This would mean that the point where the line intersects with the x-axis is to the left of the y-axis. Similarly, a positive intercept would mean that the point is to the right of the y-axis.