Calculating Ion Pairs, Total Charge and Exposure.

In summary: I don't believe that your textbook is the only source of information on this topic. Try searching the web or elsewhere for more information.I have tried searching the web and I have found a few articles but they are all quite vague and I don't understand how to do the calculations.Perhaps you could try looking for a more specific answer or a step-by-step guide?I have tried searching the web and I have found a few articles but they are all quite vague and I don't understand how to do the calculations.Perhaps you could try looking for a more specific answer or a step-by-step guide?
Jason Goddard
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Template is shown
Hello,

I am unsure whether this is in the right place, I do think this is nuclear physics however, I was hoping I could get some idea of whether I am answering this question correctly as unfortunately I won't be able to attend the class that explaining this concept.

34eV of energy, are lost, to produce 1 ion pair, in air. An alpha particle, has 276 302eV of available energy. Three alpha particles, lost all their energy completely, in 4 cm3 of air,

The charge on one electron is 1.6 x 10^-19 C.

1 cm3 of air has a mass of 0.0013 g, under standard conditions.

Calculate, in order, the number of ion pairs created and the total charge. Show your workings and report the exposure, using standard index notation, to three significant figures.

Workings:

Mass of 4cm3 of air = 0.0013g x 4 = 5.2 x 10^-3g

Total energy of alpha particles = 3x 276,302eV = 828,906eV

Number of ion pairs created = 828,906 / 34 = 24, 379.58823529412.
Number of ion pairs created = 24,379.

Total charge = 1.6 x 10^-19 C x 24,379 = 3.901x10^-15C, x 2 = total charge is 7.802 x10^-15

Any advice as to exposure calculations and whether I have even done it correctly?

Thanks very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jason Goddard said:
Any advice as to exposure calculations and whether I have even done it correctly?

Your calculations of the number of ion pairs and the total charge look OK to me. You might want to specify that half of the total charge is positive and half is negative.

For exposure calculations, what equations do you think would be relevant?

PeterDonis said:
Your calculations of the number of ion pairs and the total charge look OK to me. You might want to specify that half of the total charge is positive and half is negative.

For exposure calculations, what equations do you think would be relevant?

Based on an assumption that the total mass of air comes into play I was thinking it would be something like:

7.802 x10^-15 / 5.2 x 10^-3g = 1.500x10^-12

Jason Goddard said:
I was thinking it would be something like:

7.802 x10^-15 / 5.2 x 10^-3g = 1.500x10^-12

What units would that be in? What are the units of exposure?

Jason Goddard said:
1 cm3 of air has a mass of 0.0013 g, under standard conditions.

You might want to check the order of magnitude of this number. It looks off by a factor of 1000 to me (i.e., it should be 0.0013 kg, not 0.0013 g).

PeterDonis said:
What units would that be in? What are the units of exposure?

Well it doesn't specifically state the unit in the question but I am assuming in Ckg-1 with that number?

Jason Goddard said:
it doesn't specifically state the unit in the question

Perhaps not, but surely there is something somewhere in your textbook that explains what exposure is and gives its units.

Jason Goddard said:
I am assuming in Ckg-1 with that number?

My point was that if the units don't look right, you should doubt whether the equation you guessed is correct. What would units of Coulombs per kilogram of air mean? How would that relate to exposure?

PeterDonis said:
if the units don't look right, you should doubt whether the equation you guessed is correct

Or, if you think those units are right, you ought to be able to find some corroboration of that somewhere in your textbook. Or you could try looking it up elsewhere.

PeterDonis said:
You might want to check the order of magnitude of this number. It looks off by a factor of 1000 to me (i.e., it should be 0.0013 kg, not 0.0013 g).

Unfortunately my tutor for this particular one has been known to make mistakes a number of times, however he always says that we need to answer the questions it asks.

Jason Goddard said:
my tutor for this particular one has been known to make mistakes a number of times

So how would you check the information he gives you?

PeterDonis said:
So how would you check the information he gives you?
I wouldn't as that's part of the question he has put in the paper, I can't change it.

PeterDonis said:
Or, if you think those units are right, you ought to be able to find some corroboration of that somewhere in your textbook. Or you could try looking it up elsewhere.

That's what I have spent the last few hours doing, I'm honest enough to say that I don't have enough of a good understanding to even know where to begin looking or what to search for, my textbook which was recommended does not actually seem to have anything on this equation, or I am missing it because I don't even know the real name of this type of equation.

I know Coulomb per Kilogram is meant to refer to the ionisation of air from photons, but I can't understand specifically how to calculate it based on what I can find.

Jason Goddard said:
That's what I have spent the last few hours doing

What have you tried?

Jason Goddard said:
my textbook which was recommended does not actually seem to have anything on this equation

It doesn't discuss exposure at all?

Also, your textbook is not the only possible source of information.

Jason Goddard said:
I know Coulomb per Kilogram is meant to refer to the ionisation of air from photons

From gamma rays and X-rays, yes. This question seems to be about extending the concept to ionization by alpha particles.

PeterDonis said:
What have you tried?.
I've been looking online now, for exposure calculations, but none of them seem to actually relate to the same sort of numbers, like the lost Ev and total eV etc which is what is confusing me I think.

PeterDonis said:
From gamma rays and X-rays, yes. This question seems to be about extending the concept to ionization by alpha particles.

Ah right, now I'm getting there, maybe a bit slowly but I'm trying! In terms of alpha radiation then it would be micro-Sv then?

Jason Goddard said:
I've been looking online now, for exposure calculations, but none of them seem to actually relate to the same sort of numbers, like the lost Ev and total eV etc

But you've already done that part of the calculation--you've converted the energy lost into the amount of charge produced. All you need is to relate the charge produced to exposure.

Jason Goddard said:
In terms of alpha radiation then it would be micro-Sv then?

The Sievert is a unit of energy deposited by radiation in an object, such as a human body. I'm not sure that's what the question is looking for; "exposure", as you have noted, usually refers to charge per unit mass.

What I meant by "extending the concept" is that, if the question had been talking about ionization produced by gamma rays or X-rays, you would already have the answer: you know the charge produced, and you know the mass of the air it was produced in. (You already wrote down the answer that this method would give you in post #4, in fact.) So the only real question is whether it makes sense to treat ionization produced by alpha particles the same way. I would have expected your textbook to say something about this, but textbooks don't always cover everything.

PeterDonis said:
So the only real question is whether it makes sense to treat ionization produced by alpha particles the same way. I would have expected your textbook to say something about this, but textbooks don't always cover everything.
The only thing I can find that might be relative would be to convert it to Grays, however that is usually used i absorbed dose, all my research so far has indicated that exposure is in coulomb per kilogram or roentgen but both mainly reference X and Gamma rays. So I haven't found anything to indicate to me specifically what the exposure unit for alpha particles would be as such!

Jason Goddard said:
I haven't found anything to indicate to me specifically what the exposure unit for alpha particles would be as such!

Then I would say the best you can do is to use the same unit as for the only things for which you've found an explicit definition of exposure units (X and gamma rays).

Well thank you for the assistance, it definitely helped me to think through it and actively make sure that I was exploring all the options!

1. What is the difference between ion pairs and total charge?

Ion pairs refer to the number of positively charged ions (cations) and negatively charged ions (anions) present in a solution. Total charge, on the other hand, is the sum of all the individual charges of the ions present.

2. How do you calculate ion pairs?

To calculate ion pairs, you need to know the concentration of each ion present in the solution. Then, you can use the formula: ion pairs = concentration of cations x concentration of anions.

3. What is the significance of calculating ion pairs?

Calculating ion pairs is important in determining the electrical conductivity and chemical properties of a solution. It can also help in understanding the behavior of ions in different environments.

4. How do you calculate total charge?

Total charge is calculated by multiplying the charge of each ion by its concentration and then adding all the individual charges together. For example, if a solution contains 2 moles of +1 charged ions and 3 moles of -1 charged ions, the total charge would be (2 x 1) + (3 x -1) = -1.

5. How does exposure affect the calculation of ion pairs and total charge?

Exposure, or the length of time a solution is in contact with an ionizing agent, can affect the number of ions present and therefore, impact the calculation of ion pairs and total charge. The longer the exposure, the more ions will be present and the higher the total charge will be.