1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Kinetic Energy with Rotational Motion

1. Oct 13, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A student sits at rest on a piano stool that can rotate without friction. The moment of inertia of the student-stool system is 3.6 kg·m2. A second student tosses a 1.7 kg mass with a speed of 3.0 m/s to the student on the stool, who catches it at a distance of 0.38 m from the axis of rotation. The final angular speed is 0.504 rad/s.
    (a) Does the kinetic energy of the mass-student-stool system increase, decrease, or stay the same as the mass is caught?

(b) Calculate the initial and final kinetic energy of the system.

2. Relevant equations
    W=Kf-Ki
    ω=v/r

3. The attempt at a solution

All I've gotten so far is Ki=3.6+.5*1.7*3^2=11.25 J. I'm really stuck, please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2011 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF embudini!

How does the moment of inertia of the system change after the person on the stool catches the mass?

How does the rotational kinetic energy of a system depend on its moment of inertia and on its angular velocity ω?

4. Oct 13, 2011 #3
    The moment of inertia would increase because the system has a greater mass.

The kinetic energy is .5mv^2+.5Iω^2, the combination of its linear and rotational kinetic energies. But I don't know what to do this these equations in this scenario. I have a lot of problems similar in concept to this one, but I just don't understand how to solve for them!

5. Oct 13, 2011 #4

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, but how, specifically does it change? Hint: ignoring the mass of the person's arm, you can think of the mass that gets caught as being a point mass that is moving in a circle around the centre of rotation whose radius is the arm length. What is the moment of inertia of such a system? How does it combine with the moment of inertia of the person + stool?

Yes, but after the catch happens, is there linear motion any longer?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook