Calculating line integral using Stokes' and Gauss' theorems

In summary: For the bottom of the sphere, S2, the direction of the normal vector will be inverted (pointing downwards instead of upwards) so the integral will have a negative sign. Therefore, the correct equation is:2\int_C \mathbf{F} \centerdot d \mathbf{x} = \iint_{S_1} (\nabla \times \mathbf{F}) \centerdot \mathbf{n} ds - \iint_{S_2} (\nabla \times \mathbf{F}) \centerdot \mathbf{n} ds = \iint_{S} (\nabla \times \mathbf{F}) \centerdot \mathbf{n} ds
estro
Hi,

I'm trying to calculate some line integral with both Gauss' and Stokes' theorems, but for some strange reasons I get different results. Since the solution with Stokes' theorem seems to be somewhat easy I doubt that this question was meant to be solved by Gauss' theorem but I still want to try.

Setting the stage:
Let C be a curve which is the intersection of a ball [itex]x^2+y^2+z^2=a^2[/itex] and a plain [itex]x-y+z=0[/itex].
F is a vector field defined by: [itex] \mathbf{F} = (y-2z,x-z,2x-y)[/itex].
The "wanted" line integral is: [itex]\int_C \mathbf{F} \centerdot d \mathbf{x}[/itex] [the orientation doesn't matter since I only interested in absolute numerical value.].

As the intersecting plane has the origin in it and since the center of the ball is the origin as well we can conclude that the plain slices the ball into 2 equal pieces and the curve cuts the ball surface into 2 surfaces with equal area. I will denote S for the whole surface of the ball and S1, S2 for its 2 equal halfes. I will denote the flat surface between the 2 half of the ball with H.
I calculate and get [itex]\nabla \times \mathbf{F}=(0,-4,0) [/itex]

Calculation using Stokes' theorem:
[itex]\int_C \mathbf{F} \centerdot d \mathbf{x} = \iint_{H} (\nabla \times \mathbf{F}) \centerdot \mathbf{n} ds = \iint_{H} (0,-4,0) \centerdot \frac{(1,-1,1)}{\sqrt{3}}ds= \frac {4} {\sqrt{3}} \iint_{H}ds= \frac {4} {\sqrt{3}} \pi a^2[/itex]
The last surface integral is exactly the surface of H which is a surface of a cycle with a radius of 'a' and this explains the last transition at the above equation.
To conclude:
[itex]\int_C \mathbf{F} \centerdot d \mathbf{x} = \frac{4} {\sqrt{3}} \pi a^2[/itex]

Calculating using the Gauss' theorem:
Since Stokes' theorem states that only the boundary of the a surface plays the role I can conclude that:
[itex]\int_C \mathbf{F} \centerdot d \mathbf{x} = \iint_{S_1} (\nabla \times \mathbf{F}) \centerdot \mathbf{n} ds [/itex] and [itex]\int_C \mathbf{F} \centerdot d \mathbf{x} = \iint_{S_S} (\nabla \times \mathbf{F}) \centerdot \mathbf{n} ds [/itex], and since both share the boundary:
[itex]2\int_C \mathbf{F} \centerdot d \mathbf{x} = \iint_{S_1} (\nabla \times \mathbf{F}) \centerdot \mathbf{n} ds + \iint_{S_2} (\nabla \times \mathbf{F}) \centerdot \mathbf{n} ds=\iint_{S} (\nabla \times \mathbf{F}) \centerdot \mathbf{n} ds [/itex]
And I apply the Gauss' theorem:
[itex]\iint_{S} (\nabla \times \mathbf{F}) \centerdot \mathbf{n} ds=\iint_{S} (0,-4,0) \centerdot \mathbf{n} ds=\iiint_{x^2+y^2+z^2\leq a^2} \nabla \centerdot (0,-4,0)dxdydz=0[/itex]So I get a different answer which means somewhere I did a mistake however I checked myself a million times and I'm sure I did not commit computational mistake and my mistake must be conceptual.

I will appreciate help, thanks in advance.

EDIT: I just fixed many errors and typos I found in my question... [Thanks to Fractal20 for spotting one of them.]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Not that this changes your answers qualitatively but I got del cross F to be (0, -2, 0). Or am I wrong? I will keep looking through the rest now.

Fractal20 said:
Not that this changes your answers qualitatively but I got del cross F to be (0, -2, 0). Or am I wrong? I will keep looking through the rest now.

You're right, I made a mistake copying the vector field into the forum. [Will fix in a minute.]
However indeed it is not much of a difference to the question's core.

Hopefully I'm not embarrassing myself here. But I'm unsure about your last line. So it seems like you say that Del cross F is some vector function, let's call it g. And so then you have g dot n. Then you apply Gauss's and get Del dot g. Is that right? I just think it's strange because del dot (del cross v) is the divergence of a curl which is always 0. So I think there is something wrong with that step, or else every such problem would be 0.

Of course, orientation of the surface makes a difference. And you have to choose whether the bounded surface is the top or bottom surface, not both. If, for example, the surface is oriented outwards, you would traverse the bounding curve in opposite directions for the two halves.

Fractal20 said:
Hopefully I'm not embarrassing myself here.
Your comments add value to the discussion, please don't worry about that!

Fractal20 said:
But I'm unsure about your last line. So it seems like you say that Del cross F is some vector function, let's call it g. And so then you have g dot n. Then you apply Gauss's and get Del dot g. Is that right?
Exactly.

Fractal20 said:
I just think it's strange because del dot (del cross v) is the divergence of a curl which is always 0. So I think there is something wrong with that step, or else every such problem would be 0.
My intuition points to this exact place as well, however I'm not sure, since it seems that the "formal work" was done "decently enough". [only "decently enough" because LCKurtz pointed out the blunder I made with the orientation, but even this blunder can't explain my problem.]

LCKurtz said:
Of course, orientation of the surface makes a difference. And you have to choose whether the bounded surface is the top or bottom surface, not both. If, for example, the surface is oriented outwards, you would traverse the bounding curve in opposite directions for the two halves.
[itex] \mathbf{n}[/itex] is an outwards normal vector.
If I understand your point then yes, I forgot to flip the normal for the 2nd surface integral however even after flipping the normal vector the final answer remains 0.PS. I only need the numerical value of the line integral so the curve's orientation is not important.

Last edited:
estro said:
Calculating using the Gauss' theorem:
Since Stokes' theorem states that only the boundary of the a surface plays the role I can conclude that:
[itex]\int_C \mathbf{F} \centerdot d \mathbf{x} = \iint_{S_1} (\nabla \times \mathbf{F}) \centerdot \mathbf{n} ds [/itex] and [itex]\int_C \mathbf{F} \centerdot d \mathbf{x} = \iint_{S_S} (\nabla \times \mathbf{F}) \centerdot \mathbf{n} ds [/itex], and since both share the boundary:
[itex]2\int_C \mathbf{F} \centerdot d \mathbf{x} = \iint_{S_1} (\nabla \times \mathbf{F}) \centerdot \mathbf{n} ds + \iint_{S_2} (\nabla \times \mathbf{F}) \centerdot \mathbf{n} ds=\iint_{S} (\nabla \times \mathbf{F}) \centerdot \mathbf{n} ds [/itex]

This is not correct. If ##S_1## is the "top" of the sphere so that$$
\int_C \mathbf{F} \centerdot d \mathbf{x} = \iint_{S_1} (\nabla \times \mathbf{F}) \centerdot \mathbf{n} ds$$ then for the bottom of the sphere ##S_2##$$
-\int_C \mathbf{F} \centerdot d \mathbf{x} = \iint_{S_2} (\nabla \times \mathbf{F}) \centerdot \mathbf{n} ds$$because you must traverse the curve the other way to preserve the orientation. If you add these two equations you will get 0, which agrees with the the Gauss divergence theorem since the divergence of a curl is 0. Also note that the integral over the whole sphere has nothing in particular to do with the actual value of the line integral.

Last edited:
LCKurtz said:
This is not correct. If ##S_1## is the "top" of the sphere so that$$
\int_C \mathbf{F} \centerdot d \mathbf{x} = \iint_{S_1} (\nabla \times \mathbf{F}) \centerdot \mathbf{n} ds$$ then for the bottom of the sphere ##S_2##$$
-\int_C \mathbf{F} \centerdot d \mathbf{x} = \iint_{S_2} (\nabla \times \mathbf{F}) \centerdot \mathbf{n} ds$$because you must traverse the curve the other way to preserve the orientation. If you add these two equations you will get 0, which agrees with the the Gauss divergence theorem since the divergence of a curl is 0. Also note that the integral over the whole sphere has nothing in particular to do with the actual value of the line integral.

estro said:
This is exactly what I don't get, how is that I get:

[itex]2\int_C \mathbf{F} \centerdot d \mathbf{x}=\iint_{S_2} (\nabla \times \mathbf{F}) \centerdot \mathbf{n}-\iint_{S_2} (\nabla \times \mathbf{F}) \centerdot \mathbf{n}=0[/itex]
Which implies: [itex]\int_C \mathbf{F} \centerdot d \mathbf{x}=0[/itex]
However earlier I calculated, and got: [itex]\int_C \mathbf{F} \centerdot d \mathbf{x}=\frac {4}{\sqrt{3}}\pi a^2[/itex]

You don't get ##2\int_C \mathbf{F} \centerdot d \mathbf{x}## on the left side when you add them, you get ##0##. Did you miss the minus sign? And notice the last sentence I added to that post.

LCKurtz said:
You don't get ##2\int_C \mathbf{F} \centerdot d \mathbf{x}## on the left side when you add them, you get ##0##. Did you miss the minus sign? And notice the last sentence I added to that post.

Ohh I get it, so basically there is no way to use the Gauss' theorem for this purpose?

estro said:
Ohh I get it, so basically there is no way to use the Gauss' theorem for this purpose?

Yes, that is the short answer. If you have a circuit line integral over a closed curve ##C## like that your two choices are to evaluate it directly as a line integral or to use Stokes' theorem to evaluate the corresponding surface integral over a surface for which the curve ##C## is a boundary curve.

LCKurtz said:
Yes, that is the short answer. If you have a circuit line integral over a closed curve ##C## like that your two choices are to evaluate it directly as a line integral or to use Stokes' theorem to evaluate the corresponding surface integral over a surface for which the curve ##C## is a boundary curve.

I guess I got overexcited about Gauss' theorem.

Thank you very much for your help [not for the first time]!

1. What is a line integral?

A line integral is a type of mathematical operation that involves calculating the integral of a function along a path or curve. It is used to calculate the amount of a scalar or vector quantity that is being "flowed" or "integrated" along a given curve.

2. What is Stokes' theorem?

Stokes' theorem is a mathematical theorem that relates the line integral of a vector field over a closed curve to the surface integral of the curl of that vector field over the surface bounded by the curve. It is named after the mathematician Sir George Stokes.

3. What is Gauss' theorem?

Gauss' theorem, also known as the divergence theorem, is a mathematical theorem that relates the surface integral of a vector field over a closed surface to the volume integral of the divergence of that vector field over the region enclosed by the surface. It is named after the mathematician Carl Friedrich Gauss.

4. When are Stokes' and Gauss' theorems used?

Stokes' and Gauss' theorems are used in vector calculus to simplify the calculation of certain integrals. They are particularly useful in calculating line integrals over surfaces or volumes, as they allow for the conversion of a difficult surface or volume integral into a simpler line integral.

5. What are the applications of Stokes' and Gauss' theorems?

Stokes' and Gauss' theorems have a wide range of applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They are used in fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and other areas of physics to calculate quantities such as work, flow, and energy. They are also used in engineering to analyze stress and strain in materials.