• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Using stokes' or divergence theorem to solve integral

Homework Statement

Use either Stokes' theorem or the divergence theorem to evaluate this integral in the easiest possible way.

∫∫V [itex]\cdot[/itex]ndσ over the closed surface of the tin can bounded by x2+y2=9, z = 0, z = 5, if V = 2xyi - y2j + (z + xy)k

The bolded letters are vectors.

Homework Equations

∫∫( xV) [itex]\cdot[/itex] ndσ = ∫V [itex]\cdot[/itex]dr Stokes' theorem

∫∫∫ [itex]\cdot[/itex]Vdτ = ∫∫V [itex]\cdot[/itex]ndσ Divergence theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

So what I did was use the divergence theorem to turn this into a volume integral. I did the ∇xV to get 2y-2y+1. But here's where I'm stuck. I can input the formula for the volume of a cylinder, right? Is that dτ? I have to integrate with respect to τ. So if 2y-2y+1 = 1, then I'm left with τ after I integrate, and is τ just ∏r2h?

Thanks

Answers and Replies

vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
You mean you calculated ##\nabla\cdot \vec{V}##, not the curl. ##d\tau## is the volume element. For cartesian coordinates, it's equal to ##d\tau = dx\,dy\,dz##. The fact that you're integrating over a cylindrical volume is reflected in the limits. If I were you, however, I'd switch to cylindrical coordinates, where ##d\tau = r\,dr\,d\theta\,dz##.

EDIT: Never mind the last sentence. I misread your expression for the divergence and thought you would need to actually evaluate a non-trivial integral. Your work looks fine. If the divergence weren't simply a constant, you'd probably be better off switching to cylindrical coordinates.

Zondrina
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Use either Stokes' theorem or the divergence theorem to evaluate this integral in the easiest possible way.

∫∫V [itex]\cdot[/itex]ndσ over the closed surface of the tin can bounded by x2+y2=9, z = 0, z = 5, if V = 2xyi - y2j + (z + xy)k

The bolded letters are vectors.

Homework Equations

∫∫( xV) [itex]\cdot[/itex] ndσ = ∫V [itex]\cdot[/itex]dr Stokes' theorem

∫∫∫ [itex]\cdot[/itex]Vdτ = ∫∫V [itex]\cdot[/itex]ndσ Divergence theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

So what I did was use the divergence theorem to turn this into a volume integral. I did the ∇xV to get 2y-2y+1. But here's where I'm stuck. I can input the formula for the volume of a cylinder, right? Is that dτ? I have to integrate with respect to τ. So if 2y-2y+1 = 1, then I'm left with τ after I integrate, and is τ just ∏r2h?

Thanks
That all sounds reasonable. You can switch to cylindrical co-ordinates to make integrating easier I believe.

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
You mean you calculated ##\nabla\cdot \vec{V}##, not the curl. ##d\tau## is the volume element. For cartesian coordinates, it's equal to ##d\tau = dx\,dy\,dz##. The fact that you're integrating over a cylindrical volume is reflected in the limits. If I were you, however, I'd switch to cylindrical coordinates, where ##d\tau = r\,dr\,d\theta\,dz##.

EDIT: Never mind the last sentence. I misread your expression for the divergence and thought you would need to actually evaluate a non-trivial integral. Your work looks fine. If the divergence weren't simply a constant, you'd probably be better off switching to cylindrical coordinates.
But the divergence isn't a constant. It's 2x-2y+1. After you integrate over the cylinder then the 2x and 2y drop out. But you should say why.

vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
That's the same mistake I made originally, but the first term is really 2y, not 2x.

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
That's the same mistake I made originally, but the first term is really 2y, not 2x.
Ooo. Yes, it is.