1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using stokes' or divergence theorem to solve integral

1. Oct 11, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use either Stokes' theorem or the divergence theorem to evaluate this integral in the easiest possible way.

∫∫V [itex]\cdot[/itex]ndσ over the closed surface of the tin can bounded by x2+y2=9, z = 0, z = 5, if V = 2xyi - y2j + (z + xy)k

The bolded letters are vectors.

2. Relevant equations

∫∫( xV) [itex]\cdot[/itex] ndσ = ∫V [itex]\cdot[/itex]dr Stokes' theorem

∫∫∫ [itex]\cdot[/itex]Vdτ = ∫∫V [itex]\cdot[/itex]ndσ Divergence theorem

3. The attempt at a solution

So what I did was use the divergence theorem to turn this into a volume integral. I did the ∇xV to get 2y-2y+1. But here's where I'm stuck. I can input the formula for the volume of a cylinder, right? Is that dτ? I have to integrate with respect to τ. So if 2y-2y+1 = 1, then I'm left with τ after I integrate, and is τ just ∏r2h?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2013 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You mean you calculated ##\nabla\cdot \vec{V}##, not the curl. ##d\tau## is the volume element. For cartesian coordinates, it's equal to ##d\tau = dx\,dy\,dz##. The fact that you're integrating over a cylindrical volume is reflected in the limits. If I were you, however, I'd switch to cylindrical coordinates, where ##d\tau = r\,dr\,d\theta\,dz##.

EDIT: Never mind the last sentence. I misread your expression for the divergence and thought you would need to actually evaluate a non-trivial integral. Your work looks fine. If the divergence weren't simply a constant, you'd probably be better off switching to cylindrical coordinates.

4. Oct 11, 2013 #3

Zondrina

Homework Helper

That all sounds reasonable. You can switch to cylindrical co-ordinates to make integrating easier I believe.

5. Oct 11, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

But the divergence isn't a constant. It's 2x-2y+1. After you integrate over the cylinder then the 2x and 2y drop out. But you should say why.

6. Oct 11, 2013 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

That's the same mistake I made originally, but the first term is really 2y, not 2x.

7. Oct 11, 2013 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ooo. Yes, it is.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted