Calculating load rating of a pulley stand

In summary, a mechanical engineer working on-site at an iron ore mine in Western Australia is seeking help with designing and certifying a stand for a conveyor pulley. They are looking to have the stand rated for at least 10T and have used sections that can handle more than that, but they are unsure of what calculations to perform as a quick check. They are also wondering if there are other websites they should post their query to. Another person comments that the weak point in the design is the pulley mounting flanges and their connection to member 3, suggesting possible solutions to strengthen that area.
MechEng87
Hi Guys,

I'm a mechanical engineer looking for help with a structural problem, I work on-site at an iron ore mine in Western Australia. Typically once we design stands we get them fabricated then sent for certification. Certification involves a company putting the load which we wish to get the stand rated for on the stand itself, if it doesn't fail it gets a certification plaque.

I was required to design a stand for a conveyor pulley (drawing attached), I want this stand rated for at least 10T. I know the sections I have used will take in excess of 10T but what calculations should I perform as a check? The castors are off the shelf items each with a load rating of 5T so I won't check their structural integrity. My question is what calculations would you perform as a quick check and how do I do them? So far I was thinking I should check the flat bar and UB in compression, what forumlas should I use? Do I need to check the bottom channel for compression along the web?

Is there any other website I should post this query to?

Thanks,
Conor

Attachments

• DRAWING - Pulley Stand.pdf
    119.8 KB · Views: 523
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Whilst I'm suprised RTZ can't pay for its own structural analysis I would comment that the weak point in the design will be items 6, the pulley mounting flanges and their connection to member 3.

If member 3 were a bit wider then items 6 could be stiffened against torsional effects, that may eventually cause the rather small weld line connection to fail.
Alternatively members 6 could remain flat but be continued down the sides of member 3.

go well

1. How do I calculate the load rating of a pulley stand?

To calculate the load rating of a pulley stand, you will need to know the weight of the load being lifted, the number of ropes or cables supporting the load, and the angle of the supporting ropes or cables. You can then use the formula Load Rating = (Weight of Load / Number of Supporting Ropes) / (cosine of Angle of Supporting Ropes).

2. Can I use the same load rating for all pulley stands?

No, the load rating of a pulley stand may vary depending on its design, materials, and manufacturer. It is important to check the specifications and guidelines provided by the manufacturer to ensure the proper load rating is used for each pulley stand.

3. What factors can affect the load rating of a pulley stand?

The load rating of a pulley stand can be affected by various factors, including the quality of materials, the design and construction of the pulley stand, and wear and tear over time. It is important to regularly inspect and maintain pulley stands to ensure their load rating remains accurate.

4. Can I exceed the load rating of a pulley stand?

No, it is not recommended to exceed the load rating of a pulley stand. Doing so can put excessive strain on the stand and cause it to fail, potentially leading to accidents and injuries. It is important to always use a pulley stand within its designated load rating.

5. How does the angle of the supporting ropes or cables affect the load rating of a pulley stand?

The angle of the supporting ropes or cables can significantly affect the load rating of a pulley stand. As the angle decreases, the load rating increases, and as the angle increases, the load rating decreases. It is important to consider the angle when calculating the load rating to ensure the pulley stand can safely support the load.