Calculating Magnetic Force on Bent Wire in a Magnetic Field

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
blackbyron
Messages
47
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A wire of length 95m and a diameter of 2.4mm has a total resistance 1.59Ohms. The potential difference between the ends of the wire is 103volts. A section of the wire 15.5cm in length is bent into an arc of 60deg. The magnetic field is parallel to the bisector of the arc and has a strength of B=1.4T . What is the magnitude of the magnetic force on the arc of wire?


Homework Equations


F = I*l*B*sin(Phi)


The Attempt at a Solution


parallel.jpg


I found the current by solving I = V/R which gives me 64.78 Amps.

Now the part I'm having trouble with is finding out the magnetic field that is parallel to the bisector of the arc. I don't think I understand this question The magnetic field is parallel to the bisector of the arc and has a strength of B=1.4T .

What are your suggestion on this one? And fyi, my teacher didn't lecture this topic yet, but the reason I want to do HW early is to have more time to study this so I can get good grade on the next test.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
bump I got the current, and the length. I'm still having trouble with finding the right B*sin(phi).