1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating magnetic force on semicircle conductor

1. Oct 22, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given the figure below

aaGm11v.png
    I need to calculate the total magnetic force on the semicircle section of the conductor.
    Current is I, Radius is R, and the Magnetic Field is B.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]d\vec{F} = Id\vec{l} \times \vec{B}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

[itex]dl [/itex] is equal to [itex]Rdθ[/itex]

Since [itex]d\vec{l}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{B}[/itex] are perpendicular, the magnitude of the force on the segment [itex]d\vec{l}[/itex] is equal to [itex]I dl B = I(Rdθ)B[/itex], and the components of these forces is [itex]I(Rdθ)Bcosθ[/itex] and [itex]I(Rdθ)Bsinθ[/itex]. Integrating these separately from 0 to π and adding the result gives [itex]IB(2R+L)j[/itex].

However, I am trying to solve it using the cross product to obtain [itex]d\vec{F}[/itex] and then solve it from there.

The magnetic field vector is [tex]0i + 0j + Bk[/tex]
    And the vector for [itex]d\vec{l}[/itex] I got was [tex]Rdθcosθ i + Rdθsinθ j + 0k[/tex]

Calculating the cross product yields
    [tex]-IBRdθsinθi + IBRdθcosθj + 0k[/tex]

Integrating to from 0 to π to obtain [itex]\vec{F}[/itex] yields
    [tex]-2IBRi + IBRj + 0k[/tex]

This vector is obviously different than what was obtained before, and I am wondering where I went wrong.
    I think that a place I could have gone wrong is when I found [itex]d\vec{l}[/itex] as [tex]Rdθcosθ i + Rdθsinθ j + 0k[/tex], but I don't know of any other way I could get the components for the vector.

I'd appreciate if somebody could enlighten me as to where I went wrong. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

If j is the vertical axis and your angle goes from 0 to pi, the vector dl needs the cosine for the j component (and sine for i): the cable starts alone the j direction.

The integration over the cosine should lead to 0 due to symmetry.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted