Calculating magnetic force on semicircle conductor

In summary: The sine can then integrate over the cosine to get the magnitude of the force on the segment: (I dl B) cos θ. If you integrate over the sine, you get (I dl B) sin θ.
shirobon

Homework Statement

Given the figure below[/B]
aaGm11v.png

I need to calculate the total magnetic force on the semicircle section of the conductor.
Current is I, Radius is R, and the Magnetic Field is B.

Homework Equations

[tex]d\vec{F} = Id\vec{l} \times \vec{B}[/tex][/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
[itex]dl [/itex] is equal to [itex]Rdθ[/itex]

Since [itex]d\vec{l}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{B}[/itex] are perpendicular, the magnitude of the force on the segment [itex]d\vec{l}[/itex] is equal to [itex]I dl B = I(Rdθ)B[/itex], and the components of these forces is [itex]I(Rdθ)Bcosθ[/itex] and [itex]I(Rdθ)Bsinθ[/itex]. Integrating these separately from 0 to π and adding the result gives [itex]IB(2R+L)j[/itex].

However, I am trying to solve it using the cross product to obtain [itex]d\vec{F}[/itex] and then solve it from there.

The magnetic field vector is [tex]0i + 0j + Bk[/tex]
And the vector for [itex]d\vec{l}[/itex] I got was [tex]Rdθcosθ i + Rdθsinθ j + 0k[/tex]

Calculating the cross product yields
[tex]-IBRdθsinθi + IBRdθcosθj + 0k[/tex]

Integrating to from 0 to π to obtain [itex]\vec{F}[/itex] yields
[tex]-2IBRi + IBRj + 0k[/tex]

This vector is obviously different than what was obtained before, and I am wondering where I went wrong.
I think that a place I could have gone wrong is when I found [itex]d\vec{l}[/itex] as [tex]Rdθcosθ i + Rdθsinθ j + 0k[/tex], but I don't know of any other way I could get the components for the vector.

I'd appreciate if somebody could enlighten me as to where I went wrong. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
If j is the vertical axis and your angle goes from 0 to pi, the vector dl needs the cosine for the j component (and sine for i): the cable starts alone the j direction.

The integration over the cosine should lead to 0 due to symmetry.

1. How do you calculate the magnetic force on a semicircle conductor?

To calculate the magnetic force on a semicircle conductor, you can use the formula F = BIL, where F is the magnetic force, B is the magnetic field strength, I is the current, and L is the length of the conductor.

2. What is the direction of the magnetic force on a semicircle conductor?

The direction of the magnetic force on a semicircle conductor can be determined by the right-hand rule. If the current is flowing in the direction of your thumb, the magnetic force will be perpendicular to both the current and the magnetic field, pointing in the direction determined by your fingers.

3. Can the magnetic force on a semicircle conductor be negative?

No, the magnetic force on a semicircle conductor cannot be negative. It is always either positive or zero. A negative value would indicate that the force is acting in the opposite direction, but this is not possible as the force always acts perpendicular to the direction of the current and magnetic field.

4. How does the radius of the semicircle conductor affect the magnetic force?

The radius of the semicircle conductor does not affect the magnetic force. As long as the length of the conductor and the strength of the magnetic field remain constant, the force will also remain constant. However, a larger radius may result in a larger torque on the conductor.

5. Can the magnetic force on a semicircle conductor be increased?

Yes, the magnetic force on a semicircle conductor can be increased by increasing either the current or the magnetic field strength. Additionally, using a longer conductor can also result in a larger magnetic force. However, the direction of the force will always be perpendicular to the current and magnetic field, regardless of its strength.