Calculating Mass of CO Inhaled by a Bartender

  • Thread starter Thread starter jdhutto
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mass
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 3K views
jdhutto
Messages
17
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement




Air in a smoky bar contains 4.3 10-6 mol/L of CO. What mass of CO is inhaled by a bartender who respires at a rate of 13 L/min during an 9.0 h shift?

in g



Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution




Can someone let me know what steps to take with this problem?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Firstly, you need to learn to convert between grams and moles etc. Do you have a textbook? I'm sure there are examples in there. Do you know how to use the periodic table? You need to show some effort in figuring this out. Take a good look at your notes and see what you can come up with.
 
I understand how to convert from moles to grams, etc I am just not sure how i would take the CO amount then throw in the amount he inhales and how many hours to figure it out.
 
Once you've figured out the mass of CO in one litre, you can figure out how much CO he breathes in one minute because you know how many litres he breathes in one minute.
 
I have a total of 3.02 e10 moles he takes in so would i just need to convert that to grams?
 
I think the 8.46 part is correct, but the magnitude sounds way too big (it isn't e11). The concentration is given as 4.3 x 10^-6 mol/L, not 4.3 x 10^6 mol/L. The minus sign in the exponent is very important!
 
Thanks yeah i should of picked that up i got that one...can you please help me with one of the others i have posted I am strugglin on those