Calculating Mass of Pith Balls in Space with Gravitational and Electrical Forces

  • Thread starter Thread starter bjgawp
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Law
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
bjgawp
Messages
84
Reaction score
0
Question:
Two pith balls are free to float in space. If only gravitational and electrical forces are acting, and the balls have identical masses and charges (q = 4e), find the mass of the balls if they are moving at constant velocity.

I'm pretty sure that there is something I'm missing because when I try to solve for the mass, there are just too many variables to work with. Here's my work:

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/2433/unsolvablemg8.png

Known values:
k = 9.0 x 10^9 Nm²/C²
G = 6.67 x 10^-11 N /m²kg²
q = 4(1.60 x 10^-19 C)

Otherwise, there are 3 variables missing if we solve for m ...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You set the distance equal... that's not very meaningful! Instead, what must be true about the forces if the balls move at constant velocity?
 
Ohh! Constant velocity indicate that Fnet = 0. But I don't understand how that applies here. Surely, Fg and Fe cannot equal to 0 o.O
 
They don't have to equal zero, but they have to add to zero. The net force on each ball must be zero.
 
I can't believe I didn't realize this. Nonetheless, thank you very much :)