Calculating Mass of Soil Scooped in 0.009 m3

  • Thread starter Thread starter ExoP
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mass Soil
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 1K views
ExoP
Messages
27
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Hi,

I really need help with a problem. I have a plate and need to calculate how much soil it can dig.

Homework Equations





3. The Attempt at a Solution [/b
I first calculated the volume of the scoop (a square scoop) and after that I'm stuck. Anyone have an idea?

Volume of scoop: 0.009 m3 (I calculated this)
density of soil: 1400 kg/m3

How much soil can it hold?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If the volume were 1 m3, how many kg of soil would go in ?
If it were 0.1 m3 ? 0.2 ? 0.01 ? 0.009 ?

How can a square scoop have a volume ?
 
Hey, you were my 1000 th p: ! Congrats!
 
That's true. Well, imagine a box with no top. It has a thickness, width, length and height.
From that, how am I going to calculate how much soil it can contain? Maybe should start with that

hehe, np
 
I still don't understand where you encounter a problem here: You have a volume and you have a weight per unit volume, so calculating the weight of this particular volume is straightforward. Right ?

If 1 m3 weighs 1400 kg, how much does 2 m3 weigh? And 0.5 m3 ? 0.1 m3 ? 0.2 ? 0.01 ? 0.009 ?