Calculating Mass Flow Rate of Nitrogen at 0.3m^3/s

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
chartlieb01
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Work out the mass flow rate of Nitrogen traveling through a at 0.3m^3/s if the pressure is 1 bar and the temperature is 18°C and the ideal gas constant is 8314 J/Kg K

Homework Equations



m=ρ*V*A

m = mass flow rate
ρ= density
V = velocity
A = flow area

PV = nRT

where
P = pressure
V = volume
n = number of moles of gas
R = gas constant
T = absolute temperature


The Attempt at a Solution



I'm going round and round in a circle with it, the formula is simple enough and I know how to re-arrange it to get density but I need to work out the volume which is:

V = nRT/P

in order to do this I need to find the number of moles which is:

mass of the gas/ molecular mass

how do I work out the mass of the gas?

and how do I work out the flow area when there isn't one provided?

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You are given the volumetric flow rate in m^3/s which is given by:

Volumetric flow rate = velocity * flow area.

Using this, you will not need the area