Calculating Maximum Speed of a 65.0- fish on an Ideal Spring

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 6K views
senoltreble
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A proud deep-sea fisherman hangs a 65.0- fish from an ideal spring having negligible mass. The fish stretches the spring 0.120 . k= 5310N/m

Im suppose to find the maximum speed it will reach.

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I heard that velocity of vertical SHM can be found by wA, but i don't know what w is. So I am having hard time solving this question.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand what this problem is asking.

A proud deep-sea fisherman hangs a 65.0- fish from an ideal spring having negligible mass. The fish stretches the spring 0.120 . k= 5310N/m

As I read this, it seems that the fish is in its equilibrium position and is therefore static.

...
 
senoltreble said:
k= 5310N/m
Is the spring constant given or did you calculate it?
 
What is the maximum speed it will reach? is the question. I found the spring constant, but i don't know if it helps solving the question
 
senoltreble said:
What is the maximum speed it will reach? is the question.
I understand the question. :wink:

I found the spring constant, but i don't know if it helps solving the question
You think you found the spring constant, but you made an error. The distance given is the maximum stretch of the spring from its unstretched position. So where's the new equilibrium point? Use that to find the correct value of the spring constant.