The ball's maximum speed relative to the vehicle?

In summary, the problem involves a NASA test vehicle with a 3.50-kg ball being pulled by a horizontal ideal spring with a force constant of 226 N/m. The vehicle has a steady acceleration of 5.00 m/s2 and the ball is not oscillating. When the vehicle's speed reaches 45.0 m/s, its engines turn off, eliminating its acceleration but not its velocity. The question asks for the ball's maximum speed relative to the vehicle, and the solution involves finding the value of x that will give maximum speed, which is at the equilibrium point where the spring is unstretched and all the energy is in the form of kinetic energy. Using this value, the maximum speed is calculated to be
Vanessa Avila

Homework Statement

Inside a NASA test vehicle, a 3.50-kg ball is pulled along by a horizontal ideal spring fixed to a friction-free table. The force constant of the spring is 226 N/m . The vehicle has a steady acceleration of 5.00 m/s2, and the ball is not oscillating. Suddenly, when the vehicle's speed has reached 45.0 m/s, its engines turn off, thus eliminating its acceleration but not its velocity.

What will be the ball's maximum speed relative to the vehicle?

Homework Equations

v = ±ω√(A2 - x2)
ω = √(k/m)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I solved for ω and got 8.0356 rad/s
I tried to use the v equation above and set x = 0 and got 0.598m/s, the site told me my answer was not quite right possibly due to a round-off error.

Physics news on Phys.org
Vanessa Avila said:
I solved for ω and got 8.0356 rad/s
OK, that looks good.
I tried to use the v equation above and set x = 0 and got 0.598m/s, the site told me my answer was not quite right possibly due to a round-off error.
What value did you use for A and how did you get it?

TSny said:
OK, that looks good.

What value did you use for A and how did you get it?
I used 0.0774 m for A. I go that by kx=m(a), solved for x and had that equal to A.

Vanessa Avila said:
I used 0.0774 m for A. I go that by kx=m(a), solved for x and had that equal to A.
OK, good. When I use your values of A and ω, I don't get your answer of 0.598 m/s. Maybe you plugged in 0.0744 instead of 0.0774?

TSny said:
OK, good. When I use your values of A and ω, I don't get your answer of 0.598 m/s. Maybe you plugged in 0.0744 instead of 0.0774?
I did plug in 0.0744! Thank you! I'm being very clumsy today and making really clumsy mistakes. I looked at what i wrote just now and saw that from 0.0774 i changed it to 0.0744. Many thanks! This kinda confused me though. How do we know when to set the x to 0?

TSny said:
Did you get 0.622m/s?

Vanessa Avila said:
How do we know when to set the x to 0?
In this problem, you want maximum speed. So, you pick the value of x that will give max speed.

Vanessa Avila said:
Did you get 0.622m/s?
Yes.

TSny said:
In this problem, you want maximum speed. So, you pick the value of x that will give max speed.
when x is equal to 0, does that always indicate maximum speed at that displacement?

For a mass moving only under the influence of a spring, you will get maximum KE (therefore, max speed) when the PE is minimum. Minimum PE for a spring occurs at what value of x?

TSny said:
For a mass moving only under the influence of a spring, you will get maximum KE (therefore, max speed) when the PE is minimum. Minimum PE for a spring occurs at what value of x?
at its equilibrium point? x=0?

Vanessa Avila said:
at its equilibrium point? x=0?
Right. At the equilibrium point, the spring is unstretched and there is no potential energy stored in the spring. So, all of the energy of the system must be in the form of kinetic energy.

Likes Vanessa Avila
TSny said:
Right. At the equilibrium point, the spring is unstretched and there is no potential energy stored in the spring. So, all of the energy of the system must be in the form of kinetic energy.
That makes more sense now. Thank you!

1. What is the definition of "The ball's maximum speed relative to the vehicle"?

The ball's maximum speed relative to the vehicle refers to the highest speed that the ball can reach while in motion on or inside the vehicle. It takes into account the movement of the vehicle and the ball's motion within it.

2. How is the maximum speed of the ball relative to the vehicle determined?

The maximum speed of the ball relative to the vehicle is determined by taking into account the velocity and acceleration of the vehicle, as well as the motion of the ball within the vehicle. It can also be calculated using mathematical equations and formulas.

3. Does the shape and size of the vehicle affect the maximum speed of the ball relative to it?

Yes, the shape and size of the vehicle can have an impact on the maximum speed of the ball relative to it. A larger and more aerodynamic vehicle may allow the ball to reach a higher maximum speed due to less air resistance, while a smaller or less aerodynamic vehicle may hinder the ball's maximum speed.

4. Can the maximum speed of the ball relative to the vehicle change?

Yes, the maximum speed of the ball relative to the vehicle can change depending on various factors such as the speed and direction of the vehicle, the surface and conditions inside the vehicle, and any external forces acting on the ball.

5. Why is it important to know the maximum speed of the ball relative to the vehicle?

Knowing the maximum speed of the ball relative to the vehicle is important for understanding the dynamics and limitations of the vehicle and the ball's motion within it. It can also be useful in predicting and analyzing the behavior of the ball in different scenarios, such as during a collision or when traveling at high speeds.