1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximum speed of a cylinder dropped on a spring

1. Jul 14, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Cylinder A (mass = 5kg) is released from rest at a height h =100mm above a spring of stiffness k = 1.8 kN/m. Determine, (i) the maximum compression of the spring, (ii) the spring deflection when the cylinder’s velocity is a maximum, and, (iii) the maximum velocity of the cylinder

I just need to confirm part iii

2. Relevant equations
    Ep=mgh
    Ek=(1/2)mv^2
    Es=(1/2)kx^2
    F=kx

3. The attempt at a solution
    For part (i) I got 0.106
    (ii) 27.2mm
    For (iii) I did Ep=Ek which gave me v=1.4. The correct answer is supposed to be 1.49, I feel my answer is similar is wrong but similar just by chance. I just don't fully understand the question, when will the speed be maximum, before or after deflection? I feel before but I'm unsure.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi,
    You don't really specify what you did. Could there be a term missing in your 'doing'?

4. Jul 14, 2016 #3
    Well I meant I basically made gravitational potential energy equal kinetic energy and solved for v

5. Jul 14, 2016 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Es ?

6. Jul 14, 2016 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What, roughly, is the cylinder's acceleration very shortly after hitting the spring?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted