Calculating Minimum Required Velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses a theoretical problem involving a projectile launched from the origin to land on top of a building at a given distance and height. The minimum initial velocity and corresponding angle needed to achieve this are unknown. The speaker mentions knowledge of standard projectile equations, but is unsure how to find the minimum velocity and angle. Eventually, they find a potential solution on Wikipedia and decide to wait before sharing it with others.
ByronT
This is a tough question. I'd like to know if anybody can find a good solution. It isn't required for any of my classes, but I'd like to see a theoretical result. It seems like it should be a simple projectile motion problem, but it's not that easy.

Let's say there's a building x1 meters away and y1 meters tall. So, we only know x and y. What is the minimum initial velocity at which a projectile can be launched to "land" on top of this building? Assume that the projectile is launched from the origin.

Obviously, we know the standard projectile equations. We know the x-distance and y-distance we must travel. We know how to convert vinitial to vx and vy. But how do we find the minimum vinitial and its corresponding theta?

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
So you want the projectile to be able to stop on top of the building, not just clear it?

I figured it out. Found something on Wikipedia. I'll let other people look at it for a day before I post what I found.

1. What is the formula for calculating minimum required velocity?

The formula for calculating minimum required velocity is v = √(2gh), where v represents velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and h is the height.

2. What is the significance of calculating minimum required velocity?

Calculating minimum required velocity is important in various fields such as engineering, physics, and aviation. It helps determine the minimum speed required for an object to overcome the force of gravity and reach a certain height.

3. How does the height affect the minimum required velocity?

The height has a direct impact on the minimum required velocity. As the height increases, the minimum required velocity also increases. This is because the higher the object is, the greater the distance it needs to travel and the more energy it needs to overcome the force of gravity.

4. Can the minimum required velocity be negative?

No, the minimum required velocity cannot be negative. Velocity is a vector quantity and is defined as the rate of change of displacement. It is always measured in a specific direction and cannot have a negative value.

5. What are some real-life applications of calculating minimum required velocity?

Calculating minimum required velocity is used in various real-life applications, such as calculating the launch speed for rockets, determining the takeoff speed for airplanes, and designing roller coasters to ensure a thrilling ride without compromising safety.