• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Minimum initial velocity of the projectile launched at what angle

• Thread starter vneff
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Assume there is a wall located 100m downrange (x=100) from the projectile launching position (x=0) that is 55m (y=55) high. What is the minimum initial velocity of the projectile launched at what angle necessary to clear the wall?

Homework Equations

h=(v^2sin^2α)/2g

The Attempt at a Solution

I can find the displacement but I'm confused as to how I am supposed to find both velocity and the projectile angle from this information.

Answers and Replies

Homework Statement

Assume there is a wall located 100m downrange (x=100) from the projectile launching position (x=0) that is 55m (y=55) high. What is the minimum initial velocity of the projectile launched at what angle necessary to clear the wall?

Homework Equations

h=(v^2sin^2α)/2g

I can find the displacement but I'm confused as to how I am supposed to find both velocity and the projectile angle from this information.
2 unknowns, angle and velocity.
Then you have find 2 equations to solve the problem.

CAF123
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

h=(v^2sin^2α)/2g

Do exactly what azizlwl said. You have two unknowns, so you need two equations to get a solution. You could find one of those equations by considering energy and the other by using projectile kinematics.